Bratty stage? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2014, 06:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Bratty stage?

How do you know your pup is in the bratty stage? Im having the hardest time getting her to respond to commands. Also, she loves to bite the couch and everytime I tell her to stop she just keeps going and I goto grab her and she bites me! How do I get to know NO means NO!?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
TheDakotaShow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2014, 06:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDakotaShow View Post
How do you know your pup is in the bratty stage? Im having the hardest time getting her to respond to commands. Also, she loves to bite the couch and everytime I tell her to stop she just keeps going and I goto grab her and she bites me! How do I get to know NO means NO!?

Spank her a little hahah what i do is i grab the thick skin behind Ace's neck firmly and tell him no.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

LOL im starting to learn my lesson to not grab her anymore. She is starting to give me that stare where she's not looking directly at me but with her eyes. .like touch me again...redirection is hard when the couch is the biggest toy in the house

Old 06-12-2014, 08:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

How old is she?

Have you been getting a good start on ---> Top Training Expectations for Puppies

Cause just grabbing a favorite toy for some tug/engagement should get her off the sofa. Or, for me, just running into the kitchen to the treat/training jar for some quick tricks stops the UNwanted chewing/biting.

Sounds though, like the most fun in town for your puppy is the sofa. So you may want to be a bit more PRO-active in your exercise/play/trick training during the day. So your puppy is so busy doing activities you want they come into the house to nap from exhaustion!

How many hundreds of people you socialized her with yet?

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2014, 08:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieRoseLee View Post
How old is she?

Have you been getting a good start on ---> Top Training Expectations for Puppies

Cause just grabbing a favorite toy for some tug/engagement should get her off the sofa. Or, for me, just running into the kitchen to the treat/training jar for some quick tricks stops the UNwanted chewing/biting.

Sounds though, like the most fun in town for your puppy is the sofa. So you may want to be a bit more PRO-active in your exercise/play/trick training during the day. So your puppy is so busy doing activities you want they come into the house to nap from exhaustion!

How many hundreds of people you socialized her with yet?

Osin & Odin at the Farmers Market in Stroudsburg PA - YouTube
Imo she is very well socialized but she cant get down how to meet or play with dogs yet. She just conatantly barks at them. Any suggestions?

Old 06-13-2014, 02:14 AM   #6 (permalink)

She is only barking because she is happy and excited to interact.. That's how i know my otherwise silent Max really wants something! Best thing is not to avoid it if you feel the other dog and handler are friendly also..It just might be a great teaching lesson! Let him bark once or twice then get his attention all the while letting him see the other dog while you ask him to sit praise then stay while calmly watching the dog from some distance.. if doesnt work then move back and try again such that he obeys you while still having some interest in the other dog.

Since he is already in excited state the best way the two dogs can interact is you have your pup in sit stay while you can ask the other handler to slowly approach with their dog and let them sniff each other. Both humans should avoid interacting with the dogs initially while the dog check each other out. If dont slowly and positively your pup will eventually get bored of the dog and come back to you for direction else you can encourage her to play with the other dog by your rules which is a must. no jumping or running around without you actually allowing it. hope that helps a little
souvik6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2014, 02:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

I wish I could remember what I did. All I know is that now when Gunther challenges me all I have to do is stare him down. He'll look at me and do a quiet bark to talk back at me. Sometimes he backs up a little like he's going to jump me and do it anyway. But I just stand there staring at him. I lower my voice deep and monotone and he sulks. 2 seconds later he's over it and trying to get hugs.

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you ever tried.
Ellimaybel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2014, 02:49 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellimaybel View Post
I wish I could remember what I did. All I know is that now when Gunther challenges me all I have to do is stare him down. He'll look at me and do a quiet bark to talk back at me. Sometimes he backs up a little like he's going to jump me and do it anyway. But I just stand there staring at him. I lower my voice deep and monotone and he sulks. 2 seconds later he's over it and trying to get hugs.

HEHE I guess that's called maturity.. currently my 6month isn't at that stage yet so staring down becomes a game for him like my eyes invite him to do something naughty. I have noticed if I remain calm and request him sincerely whilst talking to him about what he will be rewarded once he obeys that gets to him much more.. Is that normal that he is more reluctant to obey loud and angry voice? He is very compliant just not when I'm screaming.. Sure has taught me to be more calm and patient
souvik6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2014, 03:00 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

Yeah, I can't remember how old he was when it started working. He's almost 1 year now.

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you ever tried.
Ellimaybel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2014, 04:21 AM   #10 (permalink)
njk

I'd read about this bratty stage so much on this forum but didn't think my girl would go through it as she'd seemed to just be getting better and better. Then, right on 7 months, she suddenly started challenging and reverting back to her puppy-brattiness. Couldn't believe it haha I finally saw what everyone was talking about! We're just really pushing the NILiF training now and it's really helped so far.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.