House/crate training - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2014, 02:06 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default House/crate training

Tonight is Mojo's third night home and they seem to be getting worse than better.
Night one he woke me up three times to go potty, we went out and he did his business and then straight back to sleep in the crate.
Night two he woke me up every hour between 11-2 and then once or twice before 7. Same deal, did his business and straight back to sleep. Most of the trips out were just pee.
Night three he has cried more than ever. We've been out three times and it's 1am, the first and last time he just laid in the grass.
The only thing that's changed is night one he didn't feel well, he had an enema due to eating quick-Crete at the breeder before I got him. Due to that I expected he would drink more water and he did nights one and two. Tonight I picked up his water dish about an hour and a half before bed. This worked great with my last puppy, with him I'm convinced that is why he's crying so much. After our last failed trip out I let him have a small drink and now he's sleeping.
Do I need to let him just drink as much as he wants and deal with the increased potty trips? Or is it safe to continue taking it up before bed? I'm exhausted and could really use a good idea or compromise. I feel bad that he's been crying for water, but I also can't rule out he's just testing me. Any input would be appreciated.
whitbit317 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2014, 02:38 AM   #2 (permalink)

Well, if you have only had him for 3 nights I wouldn't expect much improvement very fast. It's going to take a bit longer than that.
Water breaks at night are not really needed. You can take up his water for the night before bed time. He will be fine.
Is he 8 weeks old? I'm assuming he is. He should have to potty about every 2 hours if that is how old he is.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:03 AM   #3 (permalink)

He is 8 weeks. I wasn't necessarily expecting improvement, but was really feeling like we were going backwards. Tonight is the only time he's been given a drink in the night and it was because he was crying and when I carried him past the kitchen he locked eyes with the water dish. After tonight I don't think I'll pick his water up and will just deal with the extra potty breaks. He's doing great about pottying outside for the most part.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

What works best for me, is the crate beside my bed at night.

I pick up the water around 9 pm (never water in the crate) and go to bed myself between 10 and 11 pm. I always crate my puppy last thing before I tuck under the covers myself and I give her some type of chewy, treat filled kong, nylabone, or whatever I know will entertain her for a few minutes in the crate. Then I usually read for awhile and then turn off the light and go to sleep.

BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I also set my alarm for 3 am. As long as I KNOW she didn't have access to water for awhile before crating. And I KNOW she went out and pee'd right before bedtime. Then all my puppies have made it 4 hours in the crate with no accident.

This way I don't get up and let her out all thru the night if she's whining. Cause that will teach her that I am extremely bendable to her will get up constantly at her biding all night long. If it's before my 'middle of the night alarm' going off, then I just put my fingers in the crate, or tap on the top with a 'no', or just put those earplugs in AND IGNORE HER.

Unless she's sick, all bet are off if there is diarrhea in the mix!

Other thing is to really make sure my puppy is tired at night when it is bedtime. That way there may be fussing and complaining, but then they just nod off from exhaustion. So playing with them, taking them places, visiting safe people/dogs and getting a good start on socialization all make bedtime so much better for everyone!
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2014, 09:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thank you Maggie! I didn't realize I was making things worse by taking him out every time he whined. I will definitely follow your suggestions as I would be SO happy for more than an hour sleep at a time! We just started working on basic obedience today, so that's what I'm doing before bed since I know that really wears him out. I usually give his dinner around 6, and we go to bed around 9-10. He really is doing pretty good at house training, the nights have just been long and exhausting. He hasn't had any BM accidents since his first night home, and still has a few pee accidents here and there, but those are mostly when he's in his ex-pen and I'm not paying as good of attention as I should.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

The first few nights are always hard as everyone gets used to the new routine . But coming up with best schedule that works for everyone is key.

The 'obedience' that works best for such a young puppy is the training described --> Top Training Expectations for Puppies Just adding a car ride and visiting friends can help mentally and physically wear the puppy out too

Puppy classes usually rotate thru only every 8 weeks or so, and we need to start BEFORE our puppies get all their shots. So calling up and signing up for any good ones in your area is a great help for everything 'puppy' the next few months

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
Old 06-09-2014, 10:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

I'll definitely look into a good puppy class, that video looks fun! I've never heard anything good about the petsmart or petco classes, but luckily they aren't the only game in town.
I've been trying to keep him very busy when I can. I took two weeks off work to work with him and get a head start. He pretty much goes everywhere with me and I've taken him as many safe places as I can.
Right now he LOVES the flat, no-stuffing toys and will chase them as long as I'll move it. He also will do about anything for food. Today we just started working with come and sit.
Thanks again for the tips and the videos, those are some cuties you have on your hands!
Old 06-09-2014, 10:46 PM   #8 (permalink)

It can definitely be exhausting! My 9 week old puppy needed to go out at 12:30 a.m. and 4:30 a.m. for about 3 weeks after I got him. I tried the withholding water strategy, but it didn't work. He would pee and go to the the outside empty water bowl and cry. When I gave him water, he was genuinely thirsty.
When he turned 12 weeks old, I set an alarm for 2:30 and took him out on my schedule. I didn't want him deciding when to go out by whining.

On Saturdays I would take a morning nap and an afternoon one to try to catch up on my sleep. I am so much more rested now that we get up at 5:30 every morning. Eventually, puppy gets on a schedule.

I still come home at lunch to let him out to potty and get a drink of water. GSD puppies are very labor intensive, but it eases up. He is 18 weeks now. I've never had a puppy that was so much work! I can tell, though, that he is deeply bonded to me and he is way too smart for his own good!!
Old 06-09-2014, 10:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

Fortunately only ONE of those black 'devils' is mine . Odin (the male) is my friend Sue's. Just happened that we each ended up with puppy from the same litter! Will say it makes things more fun and easy cause they are exactly the same age/size. But you can see they have no issues with tumbling around with the other pups in class.

I'm not as much of a fan of the Petsmarts for anything but general socialization. The private classes and clubs I have found to work better for me.

Good luck and keep up the good work!

Have you gotten a flirt pole made up yet??

Amazon Amazon

Old 06-09-2014, 10:58 PM   #10 (permalink)

I have not got a flirt pole yet, but that's an excellent idea. Right now he's still small enough I can pull the toy by one end and he chases the other. I was lucky enough to find them half off and buy two get one free this weekend so I stocked up, they don't last long around here.
My other dog is in sit means sit, but he can't start with them until he is 4 months old, but they have group several times a week. I'm going to look for a puppy class for him tomorrow and see what I can find. He shows NO fear, today he ran to the edge of the yard to "chase off" a husky across the street. I think he sees a full grown GSD when he looks in the mirror!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.