Ecollar on puppy for VERY specific behaviors? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2014, 03:10 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Ecollar on puppy for VERY specific behaviors?

Okay, I have a 10 week old puppy who has a few very specific behaviors that I can't seem to condition out of him. These are pretty serious problems that I am uncomfortable letting go until he is old enough to respond to more classical training methods.

In order of severity, here are the problems

1. Cat Harassment: He regularly harasses my cat, completely ignoring me when i reprimand him. The cat is very large (25lbs) so he is able to hold his own at the moment, but my pup doesn't seem to be making the necessary association between harassing the cat and getting scratched on the nose. Since my dog will eventually be well over 3 times the size of the cat, I want this behavior in check before he is able to do any severe harm

2. Eating poop from cat box: I have tried several different aversive methods for this, and he seems utterly oblivious to them. I had to move the cat box to an elevated area on the porch outside and as he gets taller, he's still trying to get into it. Within a few weeks, he'll be able to reach it.

I do not plan to use the Ecollar as a primary training method, and I am familiar with the problems that misuse can create (Superstitious behavior, misdirected aversions, desensitizing) so I would like your opinions on using one to condition aversion to these specific behaviors.
BePrepared is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2014, 03:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

Please don't put an e collar on a 10 week old puppy. He is very very young and that is excessive to say the least for such a young dog!

I think training him to "leave it" with treats would help you a lot How I did it was to hold a treat in one hand, and when my dog leans in to sniff and try to take it I say "leave it". When my dog moved away from the treat, even just turning their head away, I said "yes!" and gave them a treat I had hidden in the other hand. I never gave them the treat I said to leave alone. I don't explain things well maybe someone can come along and explain how to train leave it a bit better for me and maybe some more suggestions
Old 06-06-2014, 03:27 AM   #3 (permalink)

my natural inclination is to think the same thing. The biggest reason this even occurred to me is that when i brought it up to my vet, he recommended i try an Ecollar. The cat is obviously the biggest problem. I'm not having any trouble with general training as you can see from the video I posted earlier, but this particular issue seems to be much harder to overcome.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Lol, it's like I'm reading about my dog.

What worked for me with litter boxes was turning them with the entrance of the litter box facing the wall. They're covered boxes, right?

If not, get covered ones. Then turn the litterbox with the entry hole facing the wall and move it close to the wall with only a tiny opening between the box and the wall. The cat will be able to get in, you know they can get anywhere but the dog can't.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
lalachka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2014, 04:03 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalachka View Post
Lol, it's like I'm reading about my dog.

What worked for me with litter boxes was turning them with the entrance of the litter box facing the wall. They're covered boxes, right?

If not, get covered ones. Then turn the litterbox with the entry hole facing the wall and move it close to the wall with only a tiny opening between the box and the wall. The cat will be able to get in, you know they can get anywhere but the dog can't.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Yes, the are covered, and i tried having it face the wall first. He just moved it. He's way too bloody smart for my own good

His obedience training is going wonderfully well in general, but i can't do a dang thing about his tendency to chase the bloody cat. The vet said that conditioning huskies (he's half husky) not to chase "prey" requires some serious negative stimulus.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:29 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

get a new vet!
move litter box higher or put up a gate
keep pup on leash until he learns cat is off limits!
my boy diesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2014, 04:32 AM   #7 (permalink)

My family dog, a cockapoo, used to always attack my cat. In fact I have a few videos. He loved chewing on the poop in the litter box as well. After just telling him no, and rewarding him with treats when he stopped he grew out of it in a few months. E Collar would not be a good idea for such a young puppy. Just tell him 'No', and keep working in those training classes. Problem will most likely fix itself. Good luck.

"I am an animal person."

Proud owner of German/Aussie, Lela.

Stay Happy!
LookingForTheLight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2014, 08:10 AM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Twyla

Quote:
Originally Posted by my boy diesel View Post
get a new vet!
move litter box higher or put up a gate
keep pup on leash until he learns cat is off limits!
^^^yes,yes and yes!!!

10 wk old puppy is still finding itself in the world. NO WAY should an ecollar be used on a pup this age.

Engaging the pup, training on a pup level, redirecting would be appropriate, not an ecollar.

For me, if a vet and/or trainer recommended an ecollar for a pup this age - I would be running the other way as soon as they said it.

Do a search on the forum, there are many who have cats and have successfully trained their dogs to ignore or behave correctly around a cat.
Twyla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2014, 08:29 AM   #9 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

Are you sure the vet didn't mean an Elizabethan collar to slow the puppy down/make them unable to get into a litter box? I'm just trying to be positive.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:58 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

It's not that you can't condition these behaviors out of them, it's that he's a very young baby still. He is a toddler- he lacks impulse control. You've presumably had him for two weeks-- teaching a young puppy to be able to think before acting is a long process and takes a lot longer than that. As others have said, remove the opportunities and keep him tethered until it becomes ingrained that the cat is off limits.
LoveEcho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.