Exercise Pen - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2014, 09:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Exercise Pen

I bought an ex-pen per recommendations of a trainer for when my boy gets a little too excited at night and demands my attention (even though I have played, exercised, trained, etc with him).

I have started to feed him in it to get him comfortable in there. There are ton of toys in there for him. When I put him in, he starts to whine and bark wanting to get out.

Any suggestions on how to deal with this? I am obviously ignoring it and hoping he settles down.
eddie1976E is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2014, 02:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1976E View Post
I bought an ex-pen per recommendations of a trainer for when my boy gets a little too excited at night and demands my attention (even though I have played, exercised, trained, etc with him).

I have started to feed him in it to get him comfortable in there. There are ton of toys in there for him. When I put him in, he starts to whine and bark wanting to get out.

Any suggestions on how to deal with this? I am obviously ignoring it and hoping he settles down.
I would keep ignoring it. If you let him out because he is barking to get out, he will learn that that is what he has to do and you will let him out. I would do some exercise with him. 1st put him in and give a treat and walk away , as soon as he stops barking and is being good , let him out tell him good boy and give him a treat. Hopefully he will learn that if he is good and quiet you would let him out. You could do this as part of your training you do each day. Set a time when you can focus on this and do it a few times a day.

For me, when I get home and he hears me and starts barking I would go to his cage, tell him sit, wait and shhh ,if he doesn't bark i open the gate. I m also training him not to dodge out of the gate when I open it. I trained him to sit, wait and count to 3, he knows on 3 he can come out. I even do this going out the door. That way I'm out first on 1, 2 to wait,and 3 he can come out. I do this every time, can't give them a inch or they will take a mile.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Diesel7602 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2014, 03:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel7602 View Post
I would keep ignoring it. If you let him out because he is barking to get out, he will learn that that is what he has to do and you will let him out.
I trained him to sit, wait and count to 3, he knows on 3 he can come out. I even do this going out the door. That way I'm out first on 1, 2 to wait,and 3 he can come out. I do this every time, can't give them a inch or they will take a mile.

I agree. Totally ignore the whining & barking to get out. Don't even look at him.

I like Diesel's 1,2,3 method and will start doing this myself. Linus must sit quietly before he gets out but the 1,2,3 bit is nice way to set the bar higher.

Yeah, give them an inch and they will definitely take a mile. Smart dogs these GSDs and quite the manipulators.

Madeline Ronan Heart (Maddie) Dec 1997 -- November 22, 2013 Rescue GSD, Sable
Mister C is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2014, 03:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister C View Post
I agree. Totally ignore the whining & barking to get out. Don't even look at him.

I like Diesel's 1,2,3 method and will start doing this myself. Linus must sit quietly before he gets out but the 1,2,3 bit is nice way to set the bar higher.

Yeah, give them an inch and they will definitely take a mile. Smart dogs these GSDs and quite the manipulators.
How I trained this was get a treat, put it by his face and say wait. Then I count 1...2.....and say the three loud! Then let him have the treat. If he tried to take the treat before , I would move my hand, say wait, and start back to 1... He git the idea that is better to wait to 3, them me keep doing it over and over. After he got this, I would put him a leash by the door. Make him sit, Put my hand up in his face almost touching his nose and say wait . Then open the door and say one.... Two... Walk out the door. Then say Three. (Say 3 loud and happy, kinda like if he did something really good) if he get up before three, start over. He will get it. hopefully fast. Do it every time! Is the key. Then later you can have him sit and stay, walk away, turn around and say wait with your Palm up. Count to three.palms down and pat your leg. Same idea. On three he should get up and run to you. Repeat if you have to. Do it maybe 2- 3 times a day at 5-10.

Diesel7602 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.