German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Training Our Puppy (basic) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-our-puppy-basic/)
-   -   Exercise Pen (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-our-puppy-basic/456810-exercise-pen.html)

eddie1976E 06-03-2014 09:21 PM

Exercise Pen
 
I bought an ex-pen per recommendations of a trainer for when my boy gets a little too excited at night and demands my attention (even though I have played, exercised, trained, etc with him).

I have started to feed him in it to get him comfortable in there. There are ton of toys in there for him. When I put him in, he starts to whine and bark wanting to get out.

Any suggestions on how to deal with this? I am obviously ignoring it and hoping he settles down.

Diesel7602 06-20-2014 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eddie1976E (Post 5597978)
I bought an ex-pen per recommendations of a trainer for when my boy gets a little too excited at night and demands my attention (even though I have played, exercised, trained, etc with him).

I have started to feed him in it to get him comfortable in there. There are ton of toys in there for him. When I put him in, he starts to whine and bark wanting to get out.

Any suggestions on how to deal with this? I am obviously ignoring it and hoping he settles down.

I would keep ignoring it. If you let him out because he is barking to get out, he will learn that that is what he has to do and you will let him out. I would do some exercise with him. 1st put him in and give a treat and walk away , as soon as he stops barking and is being good , let him out tell him good boy and give him a treat. Hopefully he will learn that if he is good and quiet you would let him out. You could do this as part of your training you do each day. Set a time when you can focus on this and do it a few times a day.

For me, when I get home and he hears me and starts barking I would go to his cage, tell him sit, wait and shhh ,if he doesn't bark i open the gate. I m also training him not to dodge out of the gate when I open it. I trained him to sit, wait and count to 3, he knows on 3 he can come out. I even do this going out the door. That way I'm out first on 1, 2 to wait,and 3 he can come out. I do this every time, can't give them a inch or they will take a mile.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Mister C 06-20-2014 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diesel7602 (Post 5669241)
I would keep ignoring it. If you let him out because he is barking to get out, he will learn that that is what he has to do and you will let him out.
...
I trained him to sit, wait and count to 3, he knows on 3 he can come out. I even do this going out the door. That way I'm out first on 1, 2 to wait,and 3 he can come out. I do this every time, can't give them a inch or they will take a mile.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

I agree. Totally ignore the whining & barking to get out. Don't even look at him.

I like Diesel's 1,2,3 method and will start doing this myself. Linus must sit quietly before he gets out but the 1,2,3 bit is nice way to set the bar higher.

Yeah, give them an inch and they will definitely take a mile. Smart dogs these GSDs and quite the manipulators.

Diesel7602 06-20-2014 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister C (Post 5669337)
I agree. Totally ignore the whining & barking to get out. Don't even look at him.

I like Diesel's 1,2,3 method and will start doing this myself. Linus must sit quietly before he gets out but the 1,2,3 bit is nice way to set the bar higher.

Yeah, give them an inch and they will definitely take a mile. Smart dogs these GSDs and quite the manipulators.

How I trained this was get a treat, put it by his face and say wait. Then I count 1...2.....and say the three loud! Then let him have the treat. If he tried to take the treat before , I would move my hand, say wait, and start back to 1... He git the idea that is better to wait to 3, them me keep doing it over and over. After he got this, I would put him a leash by the door. Make him sit, Put my hand up in his face almost touching his nose and say wait . Then open the door and say one.... Two... Walk out the door. Then say Three. (Say 3 loud and happy, kinda like if he did something really good) if he get up before three, start over. He will get it. hopefully fast. Do it every time! Is the key. Then later you can have him sit and stay, walk away, turn around and say wait with your Palm up. Count to three.palms down and pat your leg. Same idea. On three he should get up and run to you. Repeat if you have to. Do it maybe 2- 3 times a day at 5-10.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:08 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2