German Shepherds Forum banner

Exercise Pen

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Diesel7602 
#1 ·
I bought an ex-pen per recommendations of a trainer for when my boy gets a little too excited at night and demands my attention (even though I have played, exercised, trained, etc with him).

I have started to feed him in it to get him comfortable in there. There are ton of toys in there for him. When I put him in, he starts to whine and bark wanting to get out.

Any suggestions on how to deal with this? I am obviously ignoring it and hoping he settles down.

#2 ·
I would keep ignoring it. If you let him out because he is barking to get out, he will learn that that is what he has to do and you will let him out. I would do some exercise with him. 1st put him in and give a treat and walk away , as soon as he stops barking and is being good , let him out tell him good boy and give him a treat. Hopefully he will learn that if he is good and quiet you would let him out. You could do this as part of your training you do each day. Set a time when you can focus on this and do it a few times a day.

For me, when I get home and he hears me and starts barking I would go to his cage, tell him sit, wait and shhh ,if he doesn't bark i open the gate. I m also training him not to dodge out of the gate when I open it. I trained him to sit, wait and count to 3, he knows on 3 he can come out. I even do this going out the door. That way I'm out first on 1, 2 to wait,and 3 he can come out. I do this every time, can't give them a inch or they will take a mile.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#3 ·
I would keep ignoring it. If you let him out because he is barking to get out, he will learn that that is what he has to do and you will let him out.
I trained him to sit, wait and count to 3, he knows on 3 he can come out. I even do this going out the door. That way I'm out first on 1, 2 to wait,and 3 he can come out. I do this every time, can't give them a inch or they will take a mile.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
I agree. Totally ignore the whining & barking to get out. Don't even look at him.

I like Diesel's 1,2,3 method and will start doing this myself. Linus must sit quietly before he gets out but the 1,2,3 bit is nice way to set the bar higher.

Yeah, give them an inch and they will definitely take a mile. Smart dogs these GSDs and quite the manipulators.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.