German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Training Our Puppy (basic) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-our-puppy-basic/)
-   -   Boundary Training (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-our-puppy-basic/456794-boundary-training.html)

FelixTheGSD 06-03-2014 08:20 PM

Boundary Training

Hey again, more questions:eek:

So, it's going to be impossible for me to use baby gates or puppy pens to contain my puppy (which we will get in 7 weeks). We have a crate with a divider for him to grow into, and are making an awesome outdoor kennel to go in our fenced and puppy safe back yard, as well. The crate is for indoor sleeping / etc. It's huge. (this one)

So the question is, how do you guys think boundary training will work, and do you think we should just keep him on leash / dragging the leash in the house til he's fairly well boundary trained?

By boundary trained, I mean: the idea is that he will stop at the edge of the tile and wood flooring, so he will stay in our family room, breakfast room, and kitchen, all tile, which is a really big area. Most of the ground floor. We want him to stay there because our wood flooring is REALLY easily scratched. However, the problem might be solved if we keep his nails filed down. I just want to know what ya'lls opinions on how to boundary train, or anything that will help with this situation, and anything that you guys recommend :D

TheDakotaShow 06-12-2014 07:21 PM

Good luck. Only thing I can think of are baby gates. My pup wants to explore the whole house.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

MaggieRoseLee 06-12-2014 08:34 PM

Don't understand how it's impossible to use baby gates, you may need to explain so we can better help with that issue.

Closing doors is another way to go. Aim is to keep the puppy under your eye all the time so you can teach and bond and more quickly housebreak/housemanners.

Boundary training works but not for a BABY puppy. They won't understand at all. Specially when 100% of their lives they have been with/on/under/over their littermates/mom and you've forced that separation (as do we all) just by taking the puppy home. So you will now be the ONLY company in town and your 'abandoned' puppy will need the assurance of you near to regain (keep) their confidence and boldness with everything being wonderful in the world.

zyppi 06-12-2014 09:25 PM

I use 'Invisable Fence.'

looks like this. New Invisible Fence Shield Indoor Unit | eBay

My dog's are not allowed in certain areas of the house and it works well.

I would not collar on a little puppy, but then, a puppy should always be in your sight. IMO.

zyppi 06-12-2014 09:26 PM

PS.. you need the collar and training, but it works.

Tratkins 06-12-2014 09:36 PM

We bought this very wide accordion style gate and love it for keep our puppy out of our formal living and dining room area that has a large opening.

Primetime Petz Wooden Configurable Pet Safety Gate | Overstock.com Shopping - The Best Prices on Pet Gates

njk 06-13-2014 04:32 AM

If wide doorways are an issue, you can get extender parts to attach to baby and pet gates so they fit wider spaces. A trainer told me that you can do training whereby you use your body to nudge the pup away and act as a block to a doorway until the pup gets the hint. We thought it was too much effort so just went with the gates, but obviously we nudged her back from the front door whenever we left the house and inadvertently taught her it's a doorway she can't cross, so it does work. So if you can be bothered I suppose that's one option lol though there's no guarantee your pup won't cross it when you're not around to see, cheeky things they are.

readmeli 06-13-2014 04:14 PM

I think there is a gate for just about any configuration any more!