German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Training Our Puppy (basic) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-our-puppy-basic/)
-   -   Trainers what do you think of a thundershirt for a puppy? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-our-puppy-basic/453393-trainers-what-do-you-think-thundershirt-puppy.html)

shepherdmom 05-23-2014 12:24 AM

Trainers what do you think of a thundershirt for a puppy?

What do you all think of using a thunder shirt on a scared puppy? Do you think it might help?

simba405 05-23-2014 12:39 AM

No. Stop with the gimmicks and get a trainer.

Be prepared to accept that you might just have an unstable nervy dog that can only be managed. Not everything can be fixed.

Pax8 05-23-2014 12:43 AM

Waste of money. You'll have much better luck just working with a good trainer who can help counter condition stimulus that make the puppy fearful.

GSD_x2 05-23-2014 12:44 AM

Lots of yummy treats is the cure I know of :)

shepherdmom 05-23-2014 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simba405 (Post 5555401)
No. Stop with the gimmicks and get a trainer.

Be prepared to accept that you might just have an unstable nervy dog that can only be managed. Not everything can be fixed.

The trainer is suggesting the thunder shirt.

shepherdmom 05-23-2014 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GSD_x2 (Post 5555417)
Lots of yummy treats is the cure I know of :)

Been there done that for 3 months.

shepherdmom 05-23-2014 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pax8 (Post 5555409)
Waste of money. You'll have much better luck just working with a good trainer who can help counter condition stimulus that make the puppy fearful.

A trainer is suggesting a thunder shirt. That is why I asked. :)

simba405 05-23-2014 01:00 AM

Get a new trainer. A trainer should help you with your dog. Not slap some gimmick on it.

Anyone can call themselves a dog trainer.....

Blitzkrieg1 05-23-2014 01:02 AM

No coddling, thundershirts or whatever else. Get the dog out there and expose it to everything. Every day take him somewhere new. Do not let him runaway or shut down. Whether its stairs or walking through a city he has no choice unless you give him one.
If after that he still does not get better PTS and next time buy from a breeder that knows what they are doing and offers a temperment / health guarentee. If by 1 year he is still afraid of the world you got what you got.

Pax8 05-23-2014 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shepherdmom (Post 5555441)
A trainer is suggesting a thunder shirt. That is why I asked. :)

A good trainer won't be slapping a gimmick on a fearful pup - that's why I said a good one. ;) If you need to, consider a behavioralist.

There is a difference between actually monitoring a pup's thresholds and working on expanding those versus just plugging treats in the presence of something they fear. I run into way too many trainers who call plugging treats "counter conditioning". It's not.

If the fear is so intense that you are unable to work under the pup's threshold with a skilled trainer, a behavioralist may prescribe a temporary medication to help relax him and artificially expand his threshold enough for you to build it up. Then he can be weaned off the medication when he has built a higher threshold for the stimulus that is causing the fear reaction. Of course, that is worst case training scenario. Hopefully a skilled trainer or behavioralist will be able to teach you how to work under threshold and build the pup's tolerance.