Puppy Play hour - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2014, 10:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Puppy Play hour

What do you guys think of puppy play hour. They are offered locally at different places, you go in, let your puppy just run around and play with other dogs supervised by a trainer. I have been doing this for a few weeks with Remi and he loves it. He seems to play nice with everyone, including the annoying/pushy puppies.
eddie1976E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2014, 12:26 AM   #2 (permalink)

He's going to love it so much that he'll ignore you because other dogs are more fun than you.

Then when you're out and about he'll see a dog and want to play. He'll pull towards them and go deaf to your commands. Sounds fun eh?
simba405 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2014, 12:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

My whole take on it with my next puppy is basically this. Play with other puppies and dogs and be social and I'll just train for engagement and socialization and being a pleasure in the house and then when I start training for reliable behavior he'll either do it or he'll get a consequence and the listening will happen regardless of whether he loves playing with other dogs or not.
Baillif is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2014, 12:52 AM   #4 (permalink)

My take on it is teach them other dogs are boring from the beginning. Why make your engagement training harder than it needs to be? Why add competition? Then have to correct the dog for not paying attention and wanting to play with other dogs? You wouldn't need to correct if your dog didn't want to play with other dogs in the first place.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:10 AM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Life is going to throw plenty of competition your way. Squirrels, deer, cars, goats, toys. What's another? It's not like the puppy never knew the value of playing with it's own kind. It had litter mates. They are always going to have a biological imperative to seek out members of their own species and as long as it's happening in a structured and constructive way I have no issue with it.

The way I set up training feeding and play I'm really not worried about being out competed.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:25 AM   #6 (permalink)

Yes but for most people a stuffed toy is too much competition to them.

They barely know how to interact with their pup the right way so when you add another dog as a competing motivator they are basically screwed. Then they give up because their dog doesn't listen and they break down and get a trainer like you. Than you get rich. Genius. You must live in a really big house
Old 05-21-2014, 06:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

The real money is in the extreme separation anxiety cases. The ones where the dog destroys the house when they're gone and hurts itself trying to get out of whatever containment they try to come up with. Nobody wants to take those.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:05 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simba405 View Post
Yes but for most people a stuffed toy is too much competition to them.

They barely know how to interact with their pup the right way so when you add another dog as a competing motivator they are basically screwed. Then they give up because their dog doesn't listen and they break down and get a trainer like you. Than you get rich. Genius. You must live in a really big house
This is absolutely silly. I have 4 dogs. They love playing with each other and the love when I play with them even more. I enjoy watching them play. It doesn't diminish my time with them at all. I'm thrilled that they play with one another.
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2014, 10:09 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I like teaching my dogs to respond to me despite awesome other dogs.

I teach recall and sits and engagement from a very young age, then take puppies to play groups, classes, and dog parks, and work those things with other dog distractions. They get to play a little and socialize, which most puppies LOVE, and then I can work in our obedience to call them off of other dogs, out of play, etc.

It's a win-win situation if you are training regularly and can set them up to be successful, and it's a group of dogs/trainer you know or trust.
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
DJEtzel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2014, 10:21 AM   #10 (permalink)

I have been doing recalls while he is playing with other puppies.....he drops everything he does and runs back to me. I think I have that going for us. I don't want a dog that doesn't know how to play or act around other dogs. I think this class allows him to be a puppy and I get to test his obedience and recall with all those distractions.
eddie1976E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.