German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Training Our Puppy (basic) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-our-puppy-basic/)
-   -   Puppy obsessed with flirt pole, ignores other toys (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-our-puppy-basic/452545-puppy-obsessed-flirt-pole-ignores-other-toys.html)

petite 05-20-2014 09:57 PM

Puppy obsessed with flirt pole, ignores other toys

I've been playing short games of chase Fawn using a flirt pole for a few weeks now. It's by far her favorite but I failed to pay attention to the fact that she's become less interested in her other toys.

At this point, she'll play tug with me for 2 - 3 rounds (of bite and out) before she leaves it to go search for the flirt pole. Forget getting her interested in a ball but she never really was to begin with.

I've been hopping around the yard like a crazy person trying to entice her to play and she comes over to me, then goes back to where the flirt pole used to be (I've put it away for now).

Help? I can't work on any engagement with a huge pole in my hand!

eddie1976E 05-20-2014 10:04 PM

Mine would rather chase a ball on a flirt pole than play tug with me also. Hoping to turn that into a fetch....not sure if he will actually retrieve. Will need to seek some help in that area.

Castlemaid 05-21-2014 12:17 AM

Do you have a toy or rag tied to the end of the flirt pole? I'd take that off and use that to play with her. If holding it in your hand doesn't peak her interest, try tying a line to it - maybe 2 or three feet? Then gradually shorten the line until the toy is direct in your hand or on your person.

Not sure if it will work, but worth a try.

Baillif 05-21-2014 12:21 AM

Premack principle is your friend. If you don't know what that is you should go do some research.

petite 05-21-2014 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Castlemaid (Post 5545353)
Do you have a toy or rag tied to the end of the flirt pole? I'd take that off and use that to play with her. If holding it in your hand doesn't peak her interest, try tying a line to it - maybe 2 or three feet? Then gradually shorten the line until the toy is direct in your hand or on your person.

Not sure if it will work, but worth a try.

I go have a soft, long toy on the end and had removed it to try and entice her. She's teething right now so I'm not sure if traditional tug is painful or she's just losing interest to look for the flirt pole.

Fetch would be nice but I seem to be doing something wrong training it. Back-chaining was suggested but she just isn't interested. :confused:

Steve Strom 05-21-2014 10:19 AM

Have you tried letting go of the pole and tugging with the toy while she has the toy? Kind of phasing in the tugging with you, not exactly a one or the other.

petite 05-21-2014 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Strom (Post 5546609)
Have you tried letting go of the pole and tugging with the toy while she has the toy? Kind of phasing in the tugging with you, not exactly a one or the other.

I haven't but that is a great idea!

Steve Strom 05-21-2014 11:01 AM

Not every dog finds tugging with you real rewarding petite. Be patient, don't push it especially while she's teething.

petite 05-21-2014 10:55 PM

She enjoys tug, or I should say, she used to until she discovered the flirt pole. I would like her to regain interest in a more portable toy we can take out with us if possible but nothing in the world exists but the flirt pole right now. She loves it so much I may have overindulged her and created a problem.

Springbrz 05-22-2014 01:45 AM

We had the same problem. We took the flirt pole away. It took a couple weeks for her to totally forget about it, but she did. We didn't use the flirt pole all winter.
Once the obsession was gone tug, fetch and frisbie became interesting. Be patient, your pup will come around.

I got the flirt pole out this past weekend and we had a blast with it. It has since gone out of site. Don't want it to become an obsession, again.