German Shepherds Forum banner

Obedience Classes

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  sourdough44 
#1 ·
After a long search I finally found an obedience class that I was comfortable with! Zeus is now 20 weeks old, we have went to 2 classes so far, the instructor told me she used pinch collars for training, along with a lot of positive reinforcement, I wasn't so sure about the whole pinch collar thing so she said I could use the martingale collar I had. No matter what I tried Zeus pulled horribly, about 15 minutes into the second class the trainer suggested I try a pinch collar, she said she had one I could try, the moment I put it on Zeus I noticed a huge difference, no more pulling at all, he walks right at my side! The trainer reassured me that the collar wasn't a bad thing if properly used and instructed me on how to use it, so far it's working well and classes are going great. Today I took Zeus out to practice obedience at the ball park while my boys had team practice, after a while a man came up to me and said "I wish I had a dog that minded like that!" I felt very proud of Zeus, all our hard work is paying off! Now if I could just get him to stop randomly barking at people, one thing at a time I guess!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#2 ·
nothing wrong with the prong collar, as long as it's used correctly, and if you go to class and do your home work, you won't need the prong collar after awhile

#4 ·
Sounds JUST like my trainer in Fresno CA -- called it "power steering for dogs". Once the dog listened well enough to learn the zone for loose leash and heeling and build a habit, the prong could be swapped back out for a martingale.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.