Obedience Classes - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2014, 12:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Obedience Classes

After a long search I finally found an obedience class that I was comfortable with! Zeus is now 20 weeks old, we have went to 2 classes so far, the instructor told me she used pinch collars for training, along with a lot of positive reinforcement, I wasn't so sure about the whole pinch collar thing so she said I could use the martingale collar I had. No matter what I tried Zeus pulled horribly, about 15 minutes into the second class the trainer suggested I try a pinch collar, she said she had one I could try, the moment I put it on Zeus I noticed a huge difference, no more pulling at all, he walks right at my side! The trainer reassured me that the collar wasn't a bad thing if properly used and instructed me on how to use it, so far it's working well and classes are going great. Today I took Zeus out to practice obedience at the ball park while my boys had team practice, after a while a man came up to me and said "I wish I had a dog that minded like that!" I felt very proud of Zeus, all our hard work is paying off! Now if I could just get him to stop randomly barking at people, one thing at a time I guess!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
critterlady is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2014, 07:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

nothing wrong with the prong collar, as long as it's used correctly, and if you go to class and do your home work, you won't need the prong collar after awhile

Tester/Observer T.D.INC
ken k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2014, 08:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

That's how the prong collar was introduced to us too...by a trainer who showed me how to use it. I use it for all walks now....has helped TONS! Walks are now enjoyable by both me and Roxy.
lyssa62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2014, 05:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

Sounds JUST like my trainer in Fresno CA -- called it "power steering for dogs". Once the dog listened well enough to learn the zone for loose leash and heeling and build a habit, the prong could be swapped back out for a martingale.
Cara Fusinato is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2014, 10:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

I like the prong collar too, for a pulling dog. There is no reason for the handler to pull or tug. I have used them on several dogs with fine results.
sourdough44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.