German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Training Our Puppy (basic) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-our-puppy-basic/)
-   -   Best bang for my buck? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-our-puppy-basic/449802-best-bang-my-buck.html)

pwoodward54 05-13-2014 06:28 PM

Best bang for my buck?

So I have been researching all the different puppy classes in my area. I've found a couple decent ones with steep prices and some negative reviews, but I've also contacted some excellent trainers who would come to my house and train more personally for pretty much te same price. Socialization isn't a concern of mine. Gunner is being very well socialized with other dogs and animals. I had one trainer from a class even email me back saying "oh classes are bad for german shepherds they always get kicked out." Which I KNOW is ridiculous but I don't feel like getting treated poorly from the beginning just because of his breed. Which method has everyone else found the most effective?

JakodaCD OA 05-13-2014 06:32 PM

I like classes, for the simple reason is, your working with distractions.

However, my suggestion is if your looking into classes, go observe a beginner class, and also observe a higher level class,,you can see the trainers methods, see how dogs progress etc. If you don't like their methods, move on. If a trainer doesn't allow you to observe, move on

Sunflowers 05-13-2014 06:35 PM

179 Attachment(s)
Is this near you?

American K9 Academy

Msmaria 05-13-2014 06:35 PM

I really like the group classes, because we have learned to work through distractions and out in public, where training really matters. Phooey to the trainer who said german shepherds alway get kicked out. We are in Advanced obedience and there's ( 7 out of 10 ) shepherds in our class.

We also do private training once a week for rally

pwoodward54 05-13-2014 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunflowers (Post 5513714)
Is this near you?

American K9 Academy

I wish! It's an hour and a half away :(

SuperG 05-13-2014 06:37 PM

I've done both....the group classes are good because of the distractions ( other dogs ) and a private trainer is good because of the critiques being more focused on the individual.

The trainer with the attitude about GSDs wouldn't be someone I'd indulge most certainly....

Seems to me...a private trainer offered more benefit as the one on one, plus demonstrations by the trainer made it easier to understand the process.

Both have their merit.....

Have fun,

SuperG

Sunflowers 05-13-2014 06:37 PM

179 Attachment(s)
Maybe call him and ask for a recommendation. GSD people usually know one another.

There is also this place:

http://www.smartydog.com/CH/chtrainers.htm

Cassidy's Mom 05-13-2014 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pwoodward54 (Post 5513658)
I had one trainer from a class even email me back saying "oh classes are bad for german shepherds they always get kicked out."

What??? :eek: Dena, Keefer, and Halo were typically the stars of their classes, and were often used as the demo dog when the trainer was showing a new exercise that everyone was going to be working on.

Gretchen 05-13-2014 08:11 PM

You may want to go and observe a class. If you see a few GSD's, you'll know the trainer is familiar with them. Our former trainer was a K9 officer and most of his trainers had GSDs, but his group classes were fun because he did welcome all breeds from 10lbs to 130lbs. A variety is nice. Like Cassidy's Mom said, the GSDs are the stars, they could got through the agility courses once, then do it on their own, the other breeds would stumble through or get distracted.

pwoodward54 05-14-2014 07:55 AM

Thanks everyone! I'm now considering training him at home for now and taking him to classes when he's like 5-6 months old. Is that a bad idea?