House Breaking Puppy from Apartment - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2014, 01:05 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default House Breaking Puppy from Apartment

I have a very long flight of stairs to the first floor entrance of my flat.

As a result, I have to carry my puppy down the stairs to take her outside to potty.

It's been 8 days so far and she still doesn't give me "signs" that she wants to go outside the potty. She has peed on my floor 5-6 times as well as most recently on my rug. I cleaned them all with special odor removing cleaners.

When I do take her out, she appears to be learning that "go to potty" means to poo/pee, and she usually complies when asked. If she knows I have treats, she complies much more easily :-)

How much longer will this go on for? At this point, it seems like she will never learn and it's making me tired, exhausted, and slightly depressed.

Last edited by Cassidy's Mom; 05-10-2014 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Fix thread title
placeshifter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2014, 01:55 AM   #2 (permalink)

I crate trained my puppy. She only started letting me know she needed to go outside when she was in the crate because she didn't want to go in her "den". After she learned to let me know when she needed to go out, her accidents became fewer and farther between. Now she is four and a half months and rarely has accidents. I can even let her sleep out of the crate because she will wake me up when she needs to go out. Also, we have a designated potty area. We don't play with her there or take her there for any reason except to potty so she doesn't get confused and will go rather quickly. It takes some time and a lot of consistency (and sleepless nights), but they are smart dogs and she will pick it up. I felt discouraged a week into it but there is a light at the end of the tunnel
Old 05-11-2014, 12:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavykat View Post
I crate trained my puppy. She only started letting me know she needed to go outside when she was in the crate because she didn't want to go in her "den". After she learned to let me know when she needed to go out, her accidents became fewer and farther between. Now she is four and a half months and rarely has accidents. I can even let her sleep out of the crate because she will wake me up when she needs to go out. Also, we have a designated potty area. We don't play with her there or take her there for any reason except to potty so she doesn't get confused and will go rather quickly. It takes some time and a lot of consistency (and sleepless nights), but they are smart dogs and she will pick it up. I felt discouraged a week into it but there is a light at the end of the tunnel
The problem is that my puppy cries and whines when she's in the crate for too long during the daytime. She's okay there at night when I'm in the bed next to her. But if I leave the bedroom for a while, she whines and goes nuts.

She pissed again on my floor today. I was so mad and frustrated. God, it's just so unbelievably annoying.
placeshifter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2014, 12:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

I had to deal with this with 4 flights of stairs. In winter.

Don't get mad or frustrated, how many times of these 7-8 times that she has peed have you picked her up mid-stream and ran down the stairs and stuck her in the grass? If you are just finding the puddles later on you aren't paying enough attention. Not saying that's how it goes.

We got a bell for our back door. I taught her how to use it by pushing her nose into it and opening the door, then I'd shut it. we did it about 15 times in one sitting. Every time I picked her up to carry her down the stairs I'd squat down to push her nose into the bell a little bit and say "lets go outside to potty".

The very few times I saw her ready to pee on my floor I screeched ahhh no not here and grabbed her while she was squatting, same thing, poke the nose, run down the stairs etc.

She potty trained in less than a week, I can count the accidents on one hand - and they were all near the backdoor because I was too slow. You just have to be super fast, super watchful, and super consistent.
Old 05-11-2014, 12:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by placeshifter View Post

She pissed again on my floor today. I was so mad and frustrated. God, it's just so unbelievably annoying.
You should be mad, frustrated and annoyed with yourself, not her. She's just a baby.

- She's either crated or leashed to you when loose.
- Take her out immediately after eating and drinking.
- If she doesn't go, take her out about 5-10 minutes after.
- Take her out immediately after playing. Playing seems to stimulate their bladder and bowels.
- Get Crate Games dvd and teach her there is value on the crate.
- If you let her out of the crate when she's crying and whining then you have taught her that behavior will get her attention.
- Control when she gets water so you can take her out. She doesn't need full access to it if you are making sure she's getting plenty.
- Carry lots of cookies when taking her out.
- Give going potty a command. "Get Busy" "Go Potty" "Pee" whatever.
- When you leave to take her out say Let's go (whatever your command is) so she starts to associate the door with going out.

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2014, 05:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

I think Jax nailed it on the head. Don't give her the opportunity to pee inside. Invest in some good ear plugs and make the crate work for you. Other than that lots of treats and happy happy happy voice praise when she potties outside. Pottying outside has to be the best thing EVER for the pup.
Kahrg4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2014, 01:08 AM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Jax08 has provided very very good advice, and I will just elaborate a little w/ my experience because we lived on a 3rd floor apartment for the first 2 years of Janka's life.

I had a decent sized balcony, so I built a 'litter box' before my puppy came home. I used a 5x4 weather-proofed siding (had Home Depot cut to size) as the base and bought a couple of pine planks (cut to size) and nailed them to the sides of base to form a 3-sided wall. It looked ghetto, but it was all about functionality. I used pine shavings in there as bedding & cut a gallon jug in half and used the handle part as a scoop. I scrub the 'litter box' with cleaner and a deck broom & replace the shavings once a week.

That way, I don't have to carry my pup down and up the stairs for toilet duties. It was also to limit her exposure to potential disease while she built her immune system, as there was a surprisingly lack of courtesy from other dog owners in the complex to clean up after their dog. I felt better keeping her off those sort of 'high traffic' areas for a while.

She was potty trained within a week, with just 3 wee-wee accidents. But that was my fault for not reading her well enough and not anticipating. Training was made easier too because I was not working at that time, and being home full-time definitely helps with puppy training.

Even if you do not have a balcony, perhaps you can fashion something similar with a different kind of bedding for your puppy.

House-breaking comes with owning a puppy, and with that comes accidents. So accept that, enjoy your puppy, understand it is still learning, and not let it be an annoyance.

Good luck.

The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2014, 09:28 AM   #8 (permalink)

You stated she doesn't give you a "sign" that she needs to go out but did you teach her a sign or signal? If not, then she doesn't know how to signal you that she needs to go out. Mine will sit at the kitchen door, bark once and then lay down until I get to her. That's her way of letting me know she needs to go out to potty but I had to teach her. It wasn't automatic.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:46 PM   #9 (permalink)

Subscribed
Tauntingbull is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2014, 11:38 PM   #10 (permalink)

Strangely enough mine wasn't taught that by me. He just knew where to go (outside). Except for the first night of course
wolfie13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.