How did you know it was the right activity? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2014, 01:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How did you know it was the right activity?

How did you know that the particular job you dog does was the right fit? Were there specific behaviors? For example, dogs that do SAR- was it because of the way the dog used it's nose or agility dogs because they were so fond of the tunnels, etc. What sort of signs did the dog present to get you involved in specific activities?

I know some people look for specific dogs that were bred for specific things but I know nothing is guaranteed either.

Geist- White German Shepherd- 1/2014
LoveDogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2014, 02:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Sometimes, high energy in a dog will encourage someone to get involved in sports, such as Schutzhund or Agility. But of course, a particular temperament is required to do Schutzhund, and most people go to reputable working line breeders who breed for the sport to purchase a puppy.

Harley
Black/Tan, neutered male
"American Pet Line"

Varick vom Haus Jeffery
Dark Sable, intact male
DDR/West German Show Line
HarleyTheGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2014, 04:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Things like SAR and schutzhund, people typically get dogs looking for specific traits because it's something the owner is interested in- they're not activities so much as lifestyles (especially SAR), so they're not really something to dabble in and see if it's fun.

I do scent work with my male because, well, he's not really suited for much else... and he LOVES using his nose. My female I bought specifically for schutzhund.
LoveEcho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2014, 05:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

I tried a bit of schutzhund with my pup as he has some grandparents that have Sch titles, but he just never really got engaged like he does when we work the agility course. He makes it very clear the difference between him going through some motions because there might be some food in it for him and him clearing an agility course because it's the most exciting thing he could possibly do. I'll probably get him into scent work soon as well since it seems like he's always using his nose on something and loves to play "find the toy".
Pax8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.