Sleeping through the night - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2014, 08:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Sleeping through the night

Our puppy is 13 wks old. How long should I expect him to be able to hold his pee? I stay up till 11, let him out, and put him to bed in the crate. He starts whining like clock work at 5AM. This is starting to get old. So he is good for about 6-7 hours (some days he goes for 7hrs, but that is rare). I don't know if he really has to pee or he is just wanting out of the crate. Should I just let him whine till I'm ready to take him out?

I take his water away at around 8 PM. And I'm on top of taking him out to pee.

I would like to be able to get more sleep, since my sleep is generally not as restful as I would like it to be.

thanks
eddie1976E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2014, 09:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

When my guy was eight weeks old, I set an alarm to let him out every two hours. I made sure I gave him no chance to whine.
If you can, try to let him out before he starts to whine. I'd say, every three or four hours. He will drive you mad at night if you let him think whining will get him out of the crate, and it will be difficult to stop this behavior.

Harley
Black/Tan, neutered male
"American Pet Line"

Varick vom Haus Jeffery
Dark Sable, intact male
DDR/West German Show Line
HarleyTheGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2014, 08:06 AM   #3 (permalink)

My ares actually jus did her first night out the crate without having an accident. I came home at 2 am, took her to her spot she peed then took a walk around the block and that was it. She slept in the corner. Got up at 6 and nothing
owens91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2014, 10:37 AM   #4 (permalink)

My puppy is 19 weeks and can make it through the night about once a week. I started crate training her when I got her at 10 weeks. I took her out every 2 hours for 3 weeks, every 3 hours for 3 weeks, etc. I wanted to jump off a bridge I was so tired for a while there! However at this point I only have to take her out once midway through the night whenever I decide. For the last week and a half she's been sleeping outside her crate and hasn't had any night accidents.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

My boy is 13 weeks and he gets up once in the night to go pee, around 3am. I think it's because my husband is up getting ready for work. "Some times" he sleeps tell 7,if I'm lucky. I've read puppies can hold their bladder 1 hour per month while a wake. I think at this age they only need to hAve one potty break during the night. I quietly take him out, put him back in,with out any play, so that way he goes straight back to sleep.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Diesel7602 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2014, 03:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

I live in an old European city with medieval cobble stone streets, so maybe not great for a puppy's legs. But I'm getting tired of getting up in the middle of the night 1-2 times and getting no sleep.

I'm going to take her for a 30 minute walk before bed at around midnight and see if that gets her sleeping more.
placeshifter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2014, 04:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

I guess we are doing ok....he is going about 6 hrs to 7 hrs (if we are lucky) at night without having to go out. Hope you guys get some relief soon!
eddie1976E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.