German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Training Our Puppy (basic) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-our-puppy-basic/)
-   -   Sleeping through the night (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-our-puppy-basic/446650-sleeping-through-night.html)

eddie1976E 05-05-2014 09:32 PM

Sleeping through the night

Our puppy is 13 wks old. How long should I expect him to be able to hold his pee? I stay up till 11, let him out, and put him to bed in the crate. He starts whining like clock work at 5AM. This is starting to get old. So he is good for about 6-7 hours (some days he goes for 7hrs, but that is rare). I don't know if he really has to pee or he is just wanting out of the crate. Should I just let him whine till I'm ready to take him out?

I take his water away at around 8 PM. And I'm on top of taking him out to pee.

I would like to be able to get more sleep, since my sleep is generally not as restful as I would like it to be.

thanks

HarleyTheGSD 05-05-2014 10:19 PM

When my guy was eight weeks old, I set an alarm to let him out every two hours. I made sure I gave him no chance to whine.
If you can, try to let him out before he starts to whine. I'd say, every three or four hours. He will drive you mad at night if you let him think whining will get him out of the crate, and it will be difficult to stop this behavior.

owens91 05-06-2014 09:06 AM

My ares actually jus did her first night out the crate without having an accident. I came home at 2 am, took her to her spot she peed then took a walk around the block and that was it. She slept in the corner. Got up at 6 and nothing

petite 05-06-2014 11:37 AM

My puppy is 19 weeks and can make it through the night about once a week. I started crate training her when I got her at 10 weeks. I took her out every 2 hours for 3 weeks, every 3 hours for 3 weeks, etc. I wanted to jump off a bridge I was so tired for a while there! However at this point I only have to take her out once midway through the night whenever I decide. For the last week and a half she's been sleeping outside her crate and hasn't had any night accidents.

Diesel7602 05-07-2014 02:21 AM

My boy is 13 weeks and he gets up once in the night to go pee, around 3am. I think it's because my husband is up getting ready for work. "Some times" he sleeps tell 7,if I'm lucky. I've read puppies can hold their bladder 1 hour per month while a wake. I think at this age they only need to hAve one potty break during the night. I quietly take him out, put him back in,with out any play, so that way he goes straight back to sleep.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

placeshifter 05-07-2014 04:15 PM

I live in an old European city with medieval cobble stone streets, so maybe not great for a puppy's legs. But I'm getting tired of getting up in the middle of the night 1-2 times and getting no sleep.

I'm going to take her for a 30 minute walk before bed at around midnight and see if that gets her sleeping more.

eddie1976E 05-07-2014 05:00 PM

I guess we are doing ok....he is going about 6 hrs to 7 hrs (if we are lucky) at night without having to go out. Hope you guys get some relief soon!