Accidents in the house - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2014, 10:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Accidents in the house

Hello all,

At my house currently there are two German Shepherd puppies from the same litter, one is owned by my fiance (male) and the other by myself (female). She is currently 10 1/2 weeks old and having some issues with potty training.

She is kept in a crate at nights and does well, no accidents at night, so far. But she is still occasionally peeing in the house, even when trying to take her out fairly often. Her brother had no problems picking up on the potty training idea and notifies when he needs to go out.

She takes cues from him and will stand at the door when he does, not ever really telling us on her own. She will go days without having an accident but then it seems as if she has many accidents all in the same day, in or out of her crate.

The other problem she is having is that she will go into her brother's crate and deliberately pee in there. I thought that they really don't start marking until they are older, but could this be what she is doing?

Also, this happens a lot when I am at work, unfortunately leaving my fiance there to try and deal with all of this. I wondered if it was possibly anxiety but she does fine when we leave her in the crate while going out for dinner, etc.

I have read many different things online and figured I would come here to ask opinions from people more experienced with this breed.

We have them in obedience classes and work with them individually as we know that having them in pairs can be very difficult.

Please any suggestions on correcting this would be much appreciated, Thanks!
Berlyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2014, 10:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

It may also be important to note that when she has accidents she tries to do it out of view, but has no problem going outside in front of us.
Berlyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2014, 02:55 AM   #3 (permalink)

Do the dogs know how to let you know to go outside? As in do they bark or scratch at the door?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Thewretched is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2014, 07:33 AM   #4 (permalink)

Here is the part about two puppies that is not so fun! I am the fiance that has to clean everything up!! Berlyn does not signal at the door as well as her brother, Baron. Usually he will signal and they both end up going out. This is something we are working on with her and, up until a day or so, she was signaling more independently. Our concern isn't neccesarily house accidents, although they are getting old fast, but the peeing in her crate and the other puppy's. This is totally not like her, and we found two puddles in her crate this morning that we know happened between 2am and 6am. We are planning to go to the vet tomorrow to r/o a UTI. I read they are fairly common in female puppies??
Baroness is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2014, 08:04 AM   #5 (permalink)

i wouldn't be too worried right now, it took us like 4 weeks with our last pup to finally end all accidents. he was like 12 weeks when it finally ended.

you said she does it out of sight. i don't let 10 week old puppies out of sight, ever. put some $10 baby gates up to keep her in the part of the house a person is in.

i don't know what most feel about it but i scold them when they have an accident. but only if they are caught in the act, never afterwards. a thunderous NO to me is as important as rewarding when going outside.
scarfish is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2014, 08:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Dainerra

this is one of the problems about having two puppies at once. one can become dependent on the other to do all of the communicating.
Dainerra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.