German Shepherds Forum banner

WHEN to train?

1K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  SuperG 
#1 ·
My puppy is 8 weeks old today. He knows sit so far, but really has no interest in training sessions. He's either way too hyper to concentrate or exhausted and wandering off to sleep. I'm assuming this is how most puppies are, so I'm wondering when people find an ideal time for training is? I really would like to teach him more.

#2 ·
I do fun training as soon as they walk thru the door, sit , as you've done,,and at this age COME being the most important,,work on focus, and have fun:)

#3 ·
Use mealtime for training....focus mostly/get out your clicker!

#4 ·
Make training fun and positive so they'll always look forward to more sessions. I started training my pups as soon as I could. Just 10 to 15 minutes a day at minimum.

#5 ·
At that young age fun is a key word. I just kept being consistent and persistent while rewarding and playing. The three basic commands he had within a week probably because of how much fun it was to do what I asked. Now at almost 10 months he tries to shake every time I put him in a sit, unless he knows there's going to be a stay following.

#9 ·
#8 ·
I started Finnicks training the day he came home (start as you mean to go on). I'd recommend using a clicker and treats. Finnick has a very short attention span...as do most puppies but he LOVES training because it = yummy treats! Since he's been with us he's learnt...Sit, Stay, Down, Out, Leave it, Come and Speak. It's great mental stimulation for them. If your pup isn't food driven then try rewarding him with toys.

Good luck and HAVE FUN!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.