German Shepherds Forum banner

Crate Training???

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Katos_Mom 
#1 ·
Hello,

I was curious on what size crate I should get for a puppy? I know they grow very fast, but was wondering if I should start with a smaller crate and then upgrade as the pup gets older/bigger?

Thanks

#2 ·
I used a smaller crate at first. I would personally try to get a used crate (craigslist etc) to use for now. I went directly from that crate when he outgrew it to the one he's in today. He's never had an accident, even when the crate was too big for him at first.

If you're going to use a wire crate, just get the type that has a partition you can put in to make it smaller and then remove it as he grows.

#4 ·
I bought an X-Large crate for my pup. He has used it since he was 8 weeks old. I never divided it or used a smaller crate. He only had one accident, and that was when he was in the crate for his first time ever.

I don't suggest putting a dog bed in the crate with the pup, he/she will most likely just tear it up. Just some toys.

One thing that I noticed, which kind of drove me crazy, was the sound that was produced when my pup was moving about in his crate. So we solved that problem by putting a piece of cardboard between the wire crate and tray.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.