German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Training Our Puppy (basic) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-our-puppy-basic/)
-   -   Training issue/Socialization issue? How do I fix? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-our-puppy-basic/442929-training-issue-socialization-issue-how-do-i-fix.html)

shepherdmom 04-25-2014 03:28 PM

Training issue/Socialization issue? How do I fix?

Puppy is now almost 6 months. I've been taking him to the vet, tractor supply, and other pet stores to socialize. He does well when out.

However here at home he had an issue. My daughter visited earlier this week she presented her research at a symposium here. Anyway Dude was a little turd. He would take treats from her but when she would get up to go into the other room he would run and bark and growl. ( kind of like what you see some frou frou dogs do).

How do I correct this? I don't have people over very much but I don't want him being a turd when they do come over.

Baillif 04-25-2014 05:03 PM

Run toward her aggressively or away from her out of fear?

shepherdmom 04-25-2014 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baillif (Post 5432129)
Run toward her aggressively or away from her out of fear?

Away out of fear.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Chip18 04-25-2014 06:01 PM

My experience with my guy, people out in the field is one thing, people in there space is another thing! I don't consider that unusual myself.

Maybe something along the lines of Cesar Millans advise, No touch, no talk no eye contact? Rocky is excellent out in the field but having folks over is a case by case deal. :)

shepherdmom 04-25-2014 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chip18 (Post 5432297)
My experience with my guy, people out in the field is one thing, people in there space is another thing! I don't consider that unusual myself.

Maybe something along the lines of Cesar Millans advise, No touch, no talk no eye contact? Rocky is excellent out in the field but having folks over is a case by case deal. :)

Strangers ok I can work around it but this is daughter (college student) still come home for winter break, summer break etc. Other daughter may be living here for 4 months while student teaching. Have got to fix this. Can't have puppy barking and running every time kids head for fridge.

shepherdmom 04-25-2014 09:51 PM

Spoke with my husband about getting Dude into puppy classes. He said to go for it. So does anyone have any recommendations for this area?

mspiker03 04-25-2014 11:40 PM

The only trainer I have personal experience with for general training (well, she does more than general training too) is up in reno. I am assuming that is too far... The only trainer further south that I have worked with only does herding.

shepherdmom 04-25-2014 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mspiker03 (Post 5433761)
The only trainer I have personal experience with for general training (well, she does more than general training too) is up in reno. I am assuming that is too far... The only trainer further south that I have worked with only does herding.

Would prefer Carson or Fallon but will do what I have too. He needs more socialization? or something than I am giving him.

selzer 04-25-2014 11:53 PM

He doesn't need more out and about socialization, he needs to be better socialized within your home with a variety of people. Or, maybe he needs a good correction when he does this with your daughters. I don't know, I haven't seen your puppy in action. But, some dogs that go through a rather stupid period, can be a whole lot better once they mature.

Or they can just be a lot bigger and more intimidating.

mspiker03 04-26-2014 12:02 AM

Well, if Reno works, I would call Joanna - Reno dog training, cat training and parrot training | Fur and Feather Works

I like her. We take Nosework classes with her. The other option is to do private lessons less frequently and work on things at home. That way you aren't making the drive each week. I did that with Paisleys training since I could only get there every few weeks (it was in the Bay Area).

Don't know anything about the trainers in Carson (again, besides herding).