German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Training Our Puppy (basic) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-our-puppy-basic/)
-   -   10 week old puppy potty training problem (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-our-puppy-basic/442249-10-week-old-puppy-potty-training-problem.html)

warrior_mom2134 04-23-2014 11:26 PM

10 week old puppy potty training problem

:help:i have been trying to potty train my puppy for a while now. i will take her outside after she eats and about every 2 hours or so and she refuses to use the bathroom outside, i have stood outside with her for an hour told her go potty and everything. she has gone potty once and i praised her and everything. other than that one time almost immediately after coming in from outside she will go potty in the house. i take her and show her that potting in the house is wrong. but she still does it. when she poops i will take it and throw it outside and take her to it and tell her that this is where we go potty. this method worked with my other dogs before but it is now working with her. if i catch her mid stream or what not i tell her nein outside and take her out but she will hold it until we come back inside. one day i had her outside for an hour and a half and all of a sudden she starts going crazy whining and pulling on the leash and barking doing circles so i know she had to potty but she never did the second we came inside she went and used the bathroom right in front of the bathroom door. any advice would be greatly appreciated especially since she has a diarrhea problem it is slowly getting better since i have been giving her pumpkin every day. even with the diarrhea she has gained 4 pounds in the last week and a half. she was small when we got her. thanks in advance

nktigger99 04-24-2014 11:23 AM

I would be taking her outside every 20-30 minutes....are you using a crate??

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

LoveEcho 04-24-2014 12:55 PM

Also, if you take her to where she had an accident in the house and scold her, you're not teaching her that going in the house is bad- you're teaching her that going to the bathroom at all is bad. They don't make associations like that- and they definitely don't associate you throwing the poop outside with going outside.

You've only had her for two weeks... it takes time. Be patient and consistent. She needs to go out way more frequently than every two hours, and she needs to stay out until she goes- no matter what.

Have you had her checked out by a vet yet?

warrior_mom2134 04-25-2014 02:24 AM

no we are not using a crate. my husband doesn't want to use a crate with her. he isn't really big on crate training dogs. i don't know why. granted i have never used a crate on any of my dogs in the past either. so i wouldn't even begin to know how to do that.

i have not been able to take her to the vet as of yet on the 1st however we will be doing that. i don't really scold her when i show her using the bathroom inside is wrong. i just firmly say OUTSIDE. we go potty outside. and then i take her out.

today was the first time she pooped while on the leash. we were outside and she whined and pulled at the leash so i walked her around and then she pooped i praised her gave her a treat and everything. i know it is going to take some time. some dogs train faster than others but i have never had this problem with my other dogs that i have had in the past.

the one place in the house she will not use the bathroom in is in my room because that is where she sleeps. so i know she has the don't poop where i sleep thing down.

thank you for yall's advice.

nktigger99 04-25-2014 08:15 AM

I would get a crate and when you can't watch her crate her....never let her out of your sight....if you can't have eyes on her then in the crate she goes. The less accidents the better. You need to be taking her out every 20 minutes or so....2 hours is way to long!!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Liesje 04-25-2014 10:40 AM

If she has diarrhea I'd get her tested for worms. My pup had this at 9-10 weeks and it definitely caused potty training issues. Once that was cleared up, he never pooped in the house again.

gnet158 04-25-2014 02:03 PM

If your husband isn't keen on crates, buy a play pen. Have her eat and drink in it (remove both when not using). After a while, say any hour or two, hook her up to her leash and say "let's go potty" and take her outside as quickly as you can. She'll learn after a few times.

That's what worked for our boy.

Good luck and keep at it.