German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Training Our Puppy (basic) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-our-puppy-basic/)
-   -   Puppy advice. (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-our-puppy-basic/442097-puppy-advice.html)

Kiitsu 04-23-2014 03:49 PM

Puppy advice.

So, I got my puppy Thor yesterday and he is just a dream. He is 5 months old. He is already very attached to me, and follows me around the house everywhere. He does not want to be anywhere I am not at. He is very well behaved; I feel like I got extremely lucky with this guy. He doesn't jump on people, furniture, or for any reason. He waits patiently for me to pour him his food. He already sits on command, after me telling him to do so...twice. And to top it off, he already goes to the door when he needs to use the restroom. Is it really this easy??

Though, he has a couple of issues. He is very, very shy and a bit scared of men. I am not sure if its because he is just still new here or not, but I don't want it to develop in to fear aggression, so I want to socialize him a lot. But in order to do that, I need him leash trained...and that has always been a weak point of mine. I have done hours of research on it, but I just dont know where to start. He already follows me around the house at a heel, but he doesn't do that when on a leash. Also, he is a bit too attached to me for his own good. If I leave him, he cries. It doesn't matter if someone else is with him; he just wants me. I want a strong bond with him, but I need him to learn that sometimes I have to go to work...so I can spoil him some more. Haha.

He is my first big dog and my first GSD. I want to do absolutely everything right with him, so any other advice would also be great. I have done a lot of research, but I want all the tips I can possibly get to make sure this pup grows up to be a great dog.

DJEtzel 04-23-2014 04:00 PM

It's the honeymoon phase. His inner beast will come out soon! :D

FuzzButtMum 04-23-2014 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiitsu (Post 5420121)
So, I got my puppy Thor yesterday and he is just a dream. He is 5 months old. He is already very attached to me, and follows me around the house everywhere. He does not want to be anywhere I am not at. He is very well behaved; I feel like I got extremely lucky with this guy. He doesn't jump on people, furniture, or for any reason. He waits patiently for me to pour him his food. He already sits on command, after me telling him to do so...twice. And to top it off, he already goes to the door when he needs to use the restroom. Is it really this easy??

Though, he has a couple of issues. He is very, very shy and a bit scared of men. I am not sure if its because he is just still new here or not, but I don't want it to develop in to fear aggression, so I want to socialize him a lot. But in order to do that, I need him leash trained...and that has always been a weak point of mine. I have done hours of research on it, but I just dont know where to start. He already follows me around the house at a heel, but he doesn't do that when on a leash. Also, he is a bit too attached to me for his own good. If I leave him, he cries. It doesn't matter if someone else is with him; he just wants me. I want a strong bond with him, but I need him to learn that sometimes I have to go to work...so I can spoil him some more. Haha.

He is my first big dog and my first GSD. I want to do absolutely everything right with him, so any other advice would also be great. I have done a lot of research, but I want all the tips I can possibly get to make sure this pup grows up to be a great dog.

DJEtzel is right.......enjoy this honeymoon period while it lasts :) I might be wrong, but It is VERY likely, once he settles his "naughty" side will surface for you hehe. Mine was a DREAM for the first week or so, now he is a complete cute carpet shark!

SuperG 04-23-2014 05:03 PM

Put his collar and leash on in the house and let him cruise around without you holding on to it....I'd of course supervise to just make sure he doesn't get tangled up in things with the loose leash. As he already follows you around the house off leash....maybe while he is in the house dragging the leash around, see if he will continue heeling as you stated he does. Perhaps, after some time of this happening you could simply pick up the leash for a very short bit and see if he continues following you....the only coaxing I might do at first would be verbally and bodily....and of course a premium treat, favorite ball or toy as a bit of a lure. I'd never let the leash get tight whatsoever...I'd drop it at the very first hint of a course change and continue on with the other lures.

So glad to hear how Thor has become attached to you so quickly....it's a wonderful feeling.

SuperG

SunCzarina 04-23-2014 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJEtzel (Post 5420201)
It's the honeymoon phase. His inner beast will come out soon! :D

That's what I'm thinking, plus he's 5 months old. He hasn't made contact with his inner beast yet.

KHLOE 04-23-2014 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SunCzarina (Post 5420697)
That's what I'm thinking, plus he's 5 months old. He hasn't made contact with his inner beast yet.

IT GETS WORSE?!?! :crazy:

Kiitsu 04-23-2014 11:22 PM

Thanks for all the advice guys :) As soon as I put a leash on him, he doesnt walk in a heel any more lol. It sucks! But its rather cute in a way.

I kind of hope he gets a little crazier! He is just too relaxed right now, barely even wants to play. I got him in hopes he'd be my running partner, so I need him to be a little active...haha.

As for me, I need a little help here. I am feeling a bit overwhelemed by having him. I love him to death, but I am his only caretaker and its a bit hard on me and I am not sure what to do. Is this normal, or bad, or anything?