Help with with better crating. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2014, 08:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Help with with better crating.

Ok I'm really doing something wrong or she just hates the crate.

Any type of training for this? The past week she does not want to be in there. Doesnt matter how pooped she is. She barks for at least 20mins or until she wore her self out. What can I do?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
TheDakotaShow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2014, 02:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

I was talking about this in my pups class today. What she said was make a game/reward out of it. At first she had a crate in the middle of the room, then she walked around it with the pup. every time the dog looked or touched the crate she clicked the clicker and treated. Then if the dog looked in side she would click and throw a treat in. Every time the dog goes all the way in, then it's a Jack Pot and got more treat at once. My dog hates the crate as well. He knows when he goes in, I'm leaving , or its time out. So I'm now trying to make it a positive experience. Just starting this trick she told us about but some times I do it now when we are in the same room, and not shut the gate. If I have to leave I encourage him to his crate with a treat and tell him bed and put the treat on his bed inside the crate. He goes in now when I do this. I don't make a fuss when I leave after shutting the door. If he does whine, I just walk away and don't do any thing. I make sure he has pottied and fed/water and played/trained before I put him in his crate . That way I know he is crying to just get out. If I went to him every time he cried ,he would know that if he whines he gets out. If he does whine and I know it's because he is done with a nap, time to hang out with peoples=) play etc... I would go to the crate, tell him to sit, and to shhh, as soon as he does I let him out. So now he knows that if he wants out he sits and he is a good boy.(((p.s just so y'all know, I never leave him in his crate for more then 2 hours, since he is a puppy and can hold his bladder only for 1 hour per month of age, so he is almost 3 months he can only hold it for 3 hours. Except when at night, he walkes up once to relieve him self))) other then that he is by my side all day. Hopefully this helps some. I'm trying it my self so hopefully it helps us both =)

Diesel7602 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2014, 06:17 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel7602 View Post
I was talking about this in my pups class today. What she said was make a game/reward out of it. At first she had a crate in the middle of the room, then she walked around it with the pup. every time the dog looked or touched the crate she clicked the clicker and treated. Then if the dog looked in side she would click and throw a treat in. Every time the dog goes all the way in, then it's a Jack Pot and got more treat at once. My dog hates the crate as well. He knows when he goes in, I'm leaving , or its time out. So I'm now trying to make it a positive experience. Just starting this trick she told us about but some times I do it now when we are in the same room, and not shut the gate. If I have to leave I encourage him to his crate with a treat and tell him bed and put the treat on his bed inside the crate. He goes in now when I do this. I don't make a fuss when I leave after shutting the door. If he does whine, I just walk away and don't do any thing. I make sure he has pottied and fed/water and played/trained before I put him in his crate . That way I know he is crying to just get out. If I went to him every time he cried ,he would know that if he whines he gets out. If he does whine and I know it's because he is done with a nap, time to hang out with peoples=) play etc... I would go to the crate, tell him to sit, and to shhh, as soon as he does I let him out. So now he knows that if he wants out he sits and he is a good boy.(((p.s just so y'all know, I never leave him in his crate for more then 2 hours, since he is a puppy and can hold his bladder only for 1 hour per month of age, so he is almost 3 months he can only hold it for 3 hours. Except when at night, he walkes up once to relieve him self))) other then that he is by my side all day. Hopefully this helps some. I'm trying it my self so hopefully it helps us both =)

Ill have to try that exercise. She doesn't fully hate her crate. Just during the day at night she's fine.

Last night she actually went in her crate to sleep. First time she has done that. I was still awake so I didn't shut the crate and let her sleep. But I had to use the bathroom and once I got up she bolted after me. Just need to work on naps during the day.

Dakota 1/16/14
Old 04-18-2014, 11:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I taught a command for crating - and it is almost always rewarded with a snack. (My pup is incredibly food motivated which comes in handy for this.) Now I will say that when she is crated and left, especially at the beginning, she really complained about it! If I close the door to the room, that helped. She's better now but at 7 mos still complains if I take the other dog outside and she's crated inside. BUT she crates up with enthusiasm expecting a reward for the behavior. (She gets fed in the crate, too.)
middleofnowhere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2014, 11:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

What do you do when you put her in there and is it always when you have to lock her up or do you ever just put her in there with a toy or a chew while you watch TV?

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan-15 Jan 2010
wyoung2153 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2014, 12:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

Most of the time, I use this method to get him in he crate. I either put him in there to eat his food after training/ play, and after he has relieved him self. He will fall asleep after eating. Then after he wakes up and I'm not in the same room he will bark to let me know he is up. I would go to his crate and say sit and shh. Right when he does he is out. I do this 3 times a day. After breakfast, lunch, and dinner. So he gets a lot of attention and potty breaks before he goes in his crate . That way he also gets his naps to help him rest and grow. At night though I will take him out after he eats to go for a walk/play/ relieve him self before a long night in the crate. He only wAkes up once in the night to go potty, but today he slept in tell 9 =) but some times there is times when he needs a time out for a few or I have to go somewhere without him. I usually take him every were and even in stores because he is registered for a service dog so they can't tell me no (( a added bonus))

Diesel7602 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2014, 11:02 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoung2153 View Post
What do you do when you put her in there and is it always when you have to lock her up or do you ever just put her in there with a toy or a chew while you watch TV?
I put her in there when I have to leave or when I have to do house work. Which she's sees me sometimes when I walk by. Shes not into chew toys much. Unless there is food in them.

Dakota 1/16/14
Old 04-20-2014, 06:51 AM   #8 (permalink)

I let Teana in her crate with the door open at first.once she sees its nothing bad she doesn't mind. I tell her how good she is and give her a small treat and she is happy. after 20-30- mins I close the door and all is well.
best of luck and Happy Easter.
Bobcat black and white tabby Dec. 2013
Ladybird-Min-Pin 1-10-01 until 2-12-14
pineconeforestGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2014, 01:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pineconeforestGSD View Post
I let Teana in her crate with the door open at first.once she sees its nothing bad she doesn't mind. I tell her how good she is and give her a small treat and she is happy. after 20-30- mins I close the door and all is well.
best of luck and Happy Easter.
She won't stay in her crate for that long with nothing to do. She either has to have a kong filled with tons of food or just tons of food.

Dakota 1/16/14
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.