Back to the Basics... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2014, 05:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Back to the Basics...

Gosh... she hates me right now.

I have decided that she's had too much freedom and is taking advantage of it.

So... what are we doing?

She's losing all her freedom and is now on a leash at all times unless she's in her crate, eventually that will extend to off-leash within the backyard as well, but for at least a few more days, just the leash and crate. Just started this like... 20 minutes ago. She's whining and upset and trying to push the leash boundaries.

It'll be like crate training all over again... except I can't just shove her in a different room.

BUT... it'll be good for her. Teach her to pay attention to me and what I'm doing, stick around with me, be calm when I'm sitting and calm. That I'm the only thing that matters in her life.

Eventually she'll have free reign over the house and be let off leash again. But that's not for a while.
Serbrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2014, 05:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

Time-outs are not pleasurable, they often used as a punishment. If you provide her with pleasure - she would be looking forward to it, she would look at you. Do you know how to please your dog?
David Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2014, 06:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

So to teach her to pay attention to you you're gonna just tether her to you all day? That's gonna teach her you're the only thing that matters in her life?

The dog should choose to pay attention to you because you are fun. You shouldn't have to make her. Can't believe I'm saying this but David Taggart is spot on.
boomer11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2014, 06:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

I am going to teach her to pay attention to me. And I do try to do that anyways. Any interaction with me is pleasurable... the problem is getting her to interact with me, since she'd rather interact with my other dog or go explore the house or the yard.

It's not a punishment as much as "if you are with me and calm, wonderful things can happen".

It's NOT just keeping her tethered to me. Keeping her tethered to me is to make it easier on ME. To teach her to pay attention to me, I am rewarding any interaction with me instead of the rest of the world with a huge big to do, treats, etc. It's not just tethering her to me and ignoring her while I go about my day. Not at all.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

So far she is doing pretty well. She's whining and upset that she can't go off and do her own thing, but every time she looks at me for direction, she gets a huge amount of love and praise. It's the whining and trying to get away that I'm ignoring.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

And her crate is not a punishment. And I don't do timeouts. Like I said, not a punishment, just more direct attention giving.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

How old is your dog and what did it do to change your attitude towards her?
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2014, 06:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

What happened?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
TheDakotaShow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2014, 07:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

She's 14 weeks old. I had never done this before, and was too busy to pay much attention to her when we weren't training or actively doing stuff. MY FAULT I KNOW. She is a VERY quick learner and already knows about 16 actual commands. Had her since she was 7 weeks.

It's just been a gradual thing, of her ignoring me inside the house, choosing to go play with my older dog rather than be around me, that kind of stuff.

Just started this today, and again, it's not being used as a punishment by any means. Just as an active way for me to keep a closer eye on her and reinforce her housebreaking as well as her voice commands. I am not doing leash corrections or anything like that. She's just on a leash laying by my feet or on a leash when we're around doing things. Just keeps her near me, and any active choice to come to me or look at me and ignoring my older dog (who really couldn't care less about her) is being praised generously.

I'll probably let her off leash to run in the park since she still has awesome recall there. But right now it's more just leash training, and reinforcing her needing to come when called when inside the house.

As I said. THIS IS NOT A PUNISHMENT. Just a way for me to keep a closer eye on her and reinforce things she already knows. Probably won't be very long that I'm doing this... my guess is a couple days on the short leash, a few days on the long leash, and a few more just in general, and done, and she can be off leash again.

ETA: I don't see why something has to have happened for me to do this? She's not a bad dog. Just needs a few more boundaries when inside the home right now, IT'S NOT PERMANENT, AND IT'S NOT A PUNISHMENT.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Your dog is a very young still and I would think that like human babies they have developmental stages and milestones. Why don't you want your pup to go explore for a little while and learn new things, let it have a little socialization with your other dog. Are you playing with your dog, doing puppy things helping it learn bite inhibition, letting it socialize with other humans?

Although you don't view this as punishment, your pup may. I just feel that developmentally, your pup is not mature enough to focus all of its attention on you for long periods of time.
Could you contact your breeder and learn what you should expect from your pup as it grows?
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.