German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Training Our Puppy (basic) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-our-puppy-basic/)
-   -   How to get 11 week old to stop barking in crate? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-our-puppy-basic/437257-how-get-11-week-old-stop-barking-crate.html)

TheDakotaShow 04-12-2014 08:27 PM

How to get 11 week old to stop barking in crate?

She won't stop whining/barking in her crate for 20/30 mins daily. Usually during the day.

Ill take her outside for a hour or so running around with her or training. Then come back inside for another :30/1hr wait until she poops/pees. Put her in her crate and leave the room. Which is in our den and ill go about the house cleaning, clearing my head, etc...she's driving us nuts. Any ideas? Could it be she can't see us in the other rooms?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Madisonmj97 04-12-2014 08:40 PM

It's usually good if you put her in a crate where she can't see you, at least that's what I did with my pup cause he was really bad about that too. I put him in my bathroom in his crate and after a while he'll go in there on his own and doesn't whine at all, just leave a toy and a bone and he's good. But that's just what worked with my puppy it may or not work with yours but I'm sure it would.

TheDakotaShow 04-12-2014 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madisonmj97 (Post 5366481)
It's usually good if you put her in a crate where she can't see you, at least that's what I did with my pup cause he was really bad about that too. I put him in my bathroom in his crate and after a while he'll go in there on his own and doesn't whine at all, just leave a toy and a bone and he's good. But that's just what worked with my puppy it may or not work with yours but I'm sure it would.

I have her in a separate room. But I do however play with her in that same room.

Madisonmj97 04-12-2014 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDakotaShow (Post 5366497)
I have her in a separate room. But I do however play with her in that same room.

Do you ever go out and leave her in the crate for at least 2 to 3 hours? Cause I have college classes and I leave him at home in his crate for about 4 hours and the most for a puppy is 5. It just gets the puppy used to being in there and that it's not a punish meant but their safe place

TheDakotaShow 04-12-2014 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madisonmj97 (Post 5366513)
Do you ever go out and leave her in the crate for at least 2 to 3 hours? Cause I have college classes and I leave him at home in his crate for about 4 hours and the most for a puppy is 5. It just gets the puppy used to being in there and that it's not a punish meant but their safe place

Yes I leave her in her crate almost daily while my wife and I are at work for 4-6 hours. And a couple times 8 hours which I couldn't get off work to take her out. But when she has a long day in the crate ill take her outside for 1:30-2 hours. And she also holds her urine/poop for the whole time. No accidents in her crate that I have seen.

Angelina03 04-12-2014 10:08 PM

I think she just wants to be with you when you're home/there. Try "exhausting" her before putting her in and then maybe giving her a kong or something else to chew to relax her.

TheDakotaShow 04-12-2014 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angelina03 (Post 5366673)
I think she just wants to be with you when you're home/there. Try "exhausting" her before putting her in and then maybe giving her a kong or something else to chew to relax her.

I've been trying that. Taking her in back yard and having her chase me around. Or having her stay and come to me usually a run I can't seem to get her engaged in her toys quite yet.

Today I did exactly that. Exhausted her then put some chicken in a Kong and then in her crate.

Angelina03 04-13-2014 08:51 AM

Did that work?

TheDakotaShow 04-13-2014 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angelina03 (Post 5367753)
Did that work?

No but going to try again.

nktigger99 04-13-2014 01:08 PM

I found raw marrow bones work the best for my girl....I have never crated her while I am home other then bedtime. But the bones keep her quiet and happy for a good long time