German Shepherds Forum banner

A not so good day...

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Packen 
#1 ·
I know there will be up and down days for Finnick's behavior because he's still settling in, I totally expect that :)

But today...he's driven me mad. It's probably due to the fact the I feel really ill today and it's only been me and him. He's 9 weeks old, so he's still only a baby.

He's been with us for almost a week now :D he's been so good, he's so calm and placid, couldn't have asked for a more lovely pup! But today he's had such a boisterous day :\ normally he backs away when I tell him not to mouth (he's been really good for that) but today he is chewing everything in his path, and biting my hands/clothes/hair (he pulls it because I have long hair!), when I try to stop him with a firm "AUH" (don't know how to spell it but it's just a random noise that has been working great with him), he has totally ignored it today and it makes him even more excited and does it more :(

In these days when he's over flowing with beans, is it best to just re direct his mouth to his toys instead of vocal commands? I don't want to cofuse him, but he's just not listened at all today. Hopefully I'll feel better tomorrow and can handle him a bit more...maybe he sensed I wasn't myself?

Advice would be appreciated :)
Thanks x

See less See more
#2 ·
I got my puppy when he was 3 months old. He was a fireball until about 6 months. I just tried to be consistent on what I expected from him. He was very frustrating to deal with at times. He is now 10 months. He listens/responds now and he's much calmer.

#4 ·
Maybe it's something in the air! My puppy has really calmed down on the biting/mouthing even though she is still teething. But today she just wants to chew on my hand and clothes. I just tell her no and stop playing with her if it is too much for me. But Stormie is quite a bit older than your guy. I think redirecting to toys and chews is great. You might even give him a bone or bully stick or an ice cube and stick him in his crate for a little bit.

#10 ·
There must be! I might try the ice cubes, that's a good idea.....just ones from the ice cube tray? I have a feeling he'll like that. I'm also going to try cold carrots, I hear pups love those too!

njk, that's very true! Maybe without realizing, I wasn't as "fun" as I usually are with him, and he had to get rid of his energy that way instead!

sourdough44 - What way would you advice to do about mouthing? I say no firmly and he doesn't bat an eyelid. Even when I instantly up and walk away he either gets distracted or just lays back down as if nothing happened. I don't pin him down or anything, I'd rather use vocal commands....if they work :\

#6 ·
That's the truth. Riley was a very mellow dog. (we got him when he was 8 weeks) He never gave me issues. Other than the normal puppy biting. It could be because he wasn't feeling well....idk...he could have just been a mellow dog.

Kaleb on he other hand is the complete opposite. ( we got him when he was 3 months) If he wanted to do something he did and he did not care what I was saying to him or in what tone. He was full of "piss and vinegar".

Riley and I were very bonded. We just had this connection. It's hard to explain. I remember one day, in frustration, telling my husband that I was never going to bond with the puppy. I didn't give up though and now we are bonded and close. It just took a lot longer to get him to understand what I was asking of him than I thought it would. ;)

#8 ·
I give our pup something to chew on, typically a pig's ear as they're the only thing she likes, on days like this, when I'm unwell and she's overly boisterous (more so than usual - I was a bit jealous reading your boy is typically calm and placid haha). Think it's just pent up energy really as they don't get as much exercise or playing from us when we're not feeling the best.

#9 · (Edited)
Once it breaks daylight today I will check the radar then go on our 2 mile 'off leash' walk if able. I try to bring our 17+ week old pup about every day. She is much better behaved after some good exercise. I just have to keep the ticks at bay, rather thick right now.

Your dog is still a little young at 9 weeks. I think a dog needs to know what 'NO' means. I don't mess around with some of the 'pinning down' or saying 'ouch' if the mouthing is to much. You just have to ask yourself, 'what would Mom do if the pup bit her like that'?

The chewing on most everything will go on for awhile, lots of chew toys is good. At the times when you have to step away for a while give him some crate time.

#11 ·
Yes, just ice cubes from the ice tray. If you have tile, linoleum, or wood floors somewhere, he will love batting it around the floor. Stormie has lost so many ice cubes by kicking them under the fridge. As long as he doesn't try to swallow the ice cubes whole, then it will be a good distraction.

#12 ·
Very good idea :) we have wooden floor in the dining room, so i'll try that :) he's been better today and i've been able to direct his chewing to his chew toys a bit more!

#13 ·
After all has been done, exercise, saying 'ouch', redirecting to chew toys and all the rest what's left? I was at a puppy class recently and the instructors didn't mind all at using a physical correction when it was called for. Yes, different techniques for different people/owners.

I'm talking about biting/'nipping' past normal puppy mouthing, the stuff that can't be tolerated. I have wrapped our dog hard on the side of the rear when called for. Not a love tap either. Yes, she stops, yes she remembers. Later on just a firm 'NO' is all it takes.

It may not work for everyone, but works for us. I don't like the idea of pinning a dog down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.