Harness or collar? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2014, 01:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Harness or collar?

I am working on leash training with Zeus, I started out using a harness, but we went to puppy kindergarten last night and the trainer told me to use a collar instead. He pulls on both, but seems worse on the collar, I want to make sure I am using the right thing to ensure his success, any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
critterlady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2014, 02:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

If I'm working with a puppy, I train them on what I ultimately want them to walk on, and I walk them to get it out of the way on whatever is easiest (that is not the same as the ultimate).

So I may take a dog on a walk and let them pull sometimes to get it over with, on a harness or prong collar. But I want him to walk great on a flat collar, ultimately, so when I take time to train the loose leash walking, I clip the leash to the flat collar so that he learns that the collar is absolutely never ok to pull in- because I have the time to reinforce/stop during training if he decides to, whereas he is allowed to pull in the harness because I don't have time to do training that moment.

Make sense?
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
DJEtzel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2014, 02:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

I am using a collar for Arya. I did however just buy a harness today, which I won't be using to walk her, but for her to wear during training/work/out in public. The leash won't be connected to it, but it'll eventually (once I order/make them) have patches with "in training" and then a separate one for "therapy dog" once she passes her test at a year old. She won't be wearing the harness when we're at the park having fun or on a general day/time out... but I'm wanting to train her that when she's wearing the harness, she really needs to focus on me and it's "more important" than normally.

But for everyday walking, whatever you feel comfortable with, in either you are still training loose leash walking.
Serbrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2014, 03:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

I like what DJEtzel was saying about his method, but I wanted to add that if your dog is a hard puller, a flat collar puts the most pressure on the throat. Martingales, slip collars, and prongs distribute the pressure of the pull around the entire neck, and harnesses generally put all of the pressure on the chest. Now since he's a young puppy, he's probably not strong enough to do any serious damage (especially since you're working on training him) but I just figured I'd throw that out there just in case
Bequavious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2014, 04:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

So if I use a collar, should I use something such as a martingale or one of the others mentioned?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
critterlady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2014, 04:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

I don't personally because I don't have a puller and I don't live near a pet store where I could easily go buy one in my spare time (could order, but haven't had the need to), but it is a great thing for dogs who try to start pulling, or to avoid the "slip and gone" moves.
Serbrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2014, 05:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Check here post 8.
New Dog, Very Challenging
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2014, 05:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

How old is your puppy?

I only like harnesses on my younger pups and that's whats on Osin now.

Only later when they are too big for me to handle and the 'real' obedience starts do I use a training collar in classes (or when training).

Can be hard on a young pups neck if you use a collar and they are really pulling.

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2014, 05:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I personally am not a fan of the harness for a puller.. because IME it has encouraged the pulling and they tend to have more power with it.

I like flats and prongs. Right now we use both. Before the prong it was a flat and he did moderately well after training with it. Simple stop when pulled until he sat by me and then continue walking, then stop whenhe pulls, repeat.. some aren't that simple and that was SO annoying to do but in the end it worked for us, once he got the idea that he didn't get to pull to go on walks.

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan-15 Jan 2010
wyoung2153 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2014, 05:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

wyoung2153, for ADULT dogs, I'm all on board with NOT liking a harness (unless it's the no pull type).

But for puppies, a regular flat collar has that same amount of force wrapped right around their poor necks while they figure out the training or when just out for a walk.

Heck, my puppy can pull away on her harness and I have no trouble teaching and holding her and am certainly not getting dragged around. I'll move onto the 'no pull' harness for general getting around when she is bigger/stronger. And if she's 6+ months old and I need to start moving to the prong for classes then I'm fine with that too....

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.