German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Training Our Puppy (basic) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-our-puppy-basic/)
-   -   Any tricks to keep 11wk off couch for good? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-our-puppy-basic/435841-any-tricks-keep-11wk-off-couch-good.html)

TheDakotaShow 04-09-2014 03:13 PM

Any tricks to keep 11wk off couch for good?

She keeps jumping on the couch. Any suggestions?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Sunflowers 04-09-2014 03:17 PM

Keep her leashed or tethered to you.
Hans didn't get house freedom until he was 1 and a half

TheDakotaShow 04-09-2014 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunflowers (Post 5350657)
Keep her leashed or tethered to you.
Hans didn't get house freedom until he was 1 and a half

Really? I don't think I want a dog tethered to me for a year and a half. There has to be other ways

MaggieRoseLee 04-09-2014 03:27 PM

Just practice the 'off' command using (as sunflowers mentioned) a short leash or tether.

Even better is to teach her what you DO want to do. So teach a 'go to place' type of command.

Sunflowers 04-09-2014 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDakotaShow (Post 5350713)
Really? I don't think I want a dog tethered to me for a year and a half. There has to be other ways

You mean easier?

I actually found it easier to keep the dog with me instead of letting it loose to develop all kinds of unwanted behaviors.
I didn't want to drag him off the couch 50 times a day, yell at him for counter surfing have to follow him to see what he was doing around the corner.

Sent from my iPhone

anitram 04-09-2014 03:44 PM

I had a dog in the past who was a determined couch jumper/sleeper. He could not be deterred. He was fine coming off the couch when told but nothing would prevent him from jumping on especially when we weren't home.

The ONLY and I mean only thing that worked for him was aluminum foil. We'd cover the couch cushions in a couple of layers of foil. They absolutely hate the sound of it crinkling and the feeling of it underneath them. First day or two we'd come home and see that he'd tried jumping up as some of the foil was crumpled or ripped. Very quickly thereafter he completely stopped. Never, ever jumped on a couch again after that (and lived for years after the initial foil). Once he stops, you can take the foil off.

middleofnowhere 04-09-2014 04:16 PM

The aluminum foil trick sounds great. The only two alternatives I could think of is 1. make the couch unavailable (elevate it so no one can sit on it) or 2. buy a scatt mat to put on the couch.

Galathiel 04-09-2014 04:23 PM

My pup really thought he should have couch privileges and was forever plopping his front end on the couch. We just told him 'off' and gave him a toy on the ground to play with and eventually he stopped. Now he doesn't ever try.

AKIRA3 04-09-2014 08:01 PM

OFF a million times a day.
We used Hangars on the couch. It worked!!!

TheDakotaShow 04-09-2014 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AKIRA3 (Post 5351953)
OFF a million times a day.
We used Hangars on the couch. It worked!!!

I'm saying off a million times a day lol. Hangers..what?