What to do with pup when at work? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2014, 01:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default What to do with pup when at work?

Got a 7 week old GSD pup this weekend. Everything has gone great. He has taken to potty training very well (only one accident).

My question is now that the weekend is coming to an end, what to do tomorrow when my wife & I go to work and the kids go to school. We have an X-large kennel but he doesn't seem to like going in there.

He also seems to be very attached to my wife and I. We both left yesterday for a few minutes and left our 12 y/o daughter to watch after him. She said he got very anxious and whiny when we were out of his sight.

What is our best course of action? School will be out in a couple months, and the kids will be home with him. What to do until then??

BTW - Here is a pic of our boy, Boone.
What to do with pup when at work?-dscf1969.jpg
amorican88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2014, 04:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I would start crate training him. Come home for lunch or have someone else let him at some point to keep up with the PT. I wasn't thrilled about doing this, but its safe and they come to like the crate. We leave ours open and Ranger will use it for naps and sleeping at night.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2014, 04:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Crate train.
LoveEcho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2014, 09:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amorican88 View Post
Got a 7 week old GSD pup this weekend. Everything has gone great. He has taken to potty training very well (only one accident).

My question is now that the weekend is coming to an end, what to do tomorrow when my wife & I go to work and the kids go to school. We have an X-large kennel but he doesn't seem to like going in there.

He also seems to be very attached to my wife and I. We both left yesterday for a few minutes and left our 12 y/o daughter to watch after him. She said he got very anxious and whiny when we were out of his sight.

What is our best course of action? School will be out in a couple months, and the kids will be home with him. What to do until then??

BTW - Here is a pic of our boy, Boone.
Attachment 197905
Crate him in one that is only big enough for him to get up and turn around and lie back down. Have someone let him out midday the first few weeks then every week following add another hour to the time he is let out during the day. It isn't pleasant to crate them, I know, but its necessary. Won't take long till he can be crated all day without being let out, then start giving him a small area of the house, leave the crat in with him and open, he will probably go in and sleep in it on his own. Give him food and water before you leave in the morning but don't leave very much of either out for him at first. Then gradually start increasing the area of his freedom in the house as well as the amount of food and water you leave out. He will get it all in time!
cmlenard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2014, 08:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

Crate training it is. Thanks for the advise, everyone. We are using a piece of plywood to cut down the size of the huge kennel. I took him out to potty right before I left for work, then into the kennel he went. Wasn't happy. Wife came home at noon to find him sleeping. Took him out for potty, gave him a little drink and a snack, then back in. Not happy about it. The kids got home from school a little after 3 and let him out.

It is going to be a bit rough for a while, but in the long run we will be glad we have done it. Again, thanks for the advise. I'm sure I will be having a lot more questions.
amorican88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2014, 11:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

Don't worry about it. Just keep up with it and your pup will do great. I got my girl at 7 weeks (rescue type situation), and at first she did not like to go into her crate. She would cry even if I was right there with her. She slept in her crate on my bed for at least a week and a half, before I started putting her in the same crate by my bed, then in the other room. Now she's in a bigger crate, and will willingly go into it. Even working on training her to go in at the word "crate". Sleeps all through the night. Her crate is her sleepy quiet place.

It'll get there. One thing I would suggest is to only let him out if he's being quiet. I mean, you can stand there or whatever, waiting to open the door, but only when he's quiet and calm do you let him out. Doesn't matter if you need to rush him outside right afterwards, don't encourage rowdiness and bad manners by rewarding it with him being let out of the crate.

And good luck!
Serbrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2014, 09:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

I'm really glad you asked this, I found this site and was hoping to find some information on this very thing. We brought our 8 week old girl, Athena, home last Saturday. I've had a few days off of work and my kids (ages 16 and 12) are on Spring Break.

We all go back to our regular schedule on Monday. I'm very anxious about how she's going to be while we're gone. She does well in her crate when we're home, and is sleeping very well in it at night. She's actually in there now, but doesn't do well when we leave the room. My daughter and I left her alone for about an hour the other day and she was going nuts when we came home. She's got lots of toys, a towel that smells like us, I had a puppy kong with treats in there. I don't know how she's going to do once we all go back. She'll be alone for just a few hours - my husband goes in late and I get off early, both kids are home by 3.

Anyway, I'm glad to see the responses here, I've been wondering if we're doing the right thing or if there were other suggestions to try.
Loridg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2014, 09:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

He will get used to it. Start using the crate while you are there too in there with a treat or a chew. and let him have free access to it. You'll find after some time, he will go in and just lay there.. seems to become like a sanctuary to them after time.

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan-15 Jan 2010
wyoung2153 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.