Food Aggression help. (11 week old) Pics + VId - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2014, 04:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Food Aggression help. (11 week old) Pics + VId

Ok just a little history. Got this pup at 7 weeks and have had her for 4 weeks.

Breeder accidentally had these pups. Decided to part ways with one and keep one. So I had no choice with which one I got. Well, when it came to him feeding them he filled a bowl with food. Im guessing the mom, dad + pups all shared. Im not totally sure but im assuming thats what happened. He told me that the pup I got ate a lot and usually feel asleep in the bowl. SMH!
[IMG][/IMG]

Well when we first got her I fed her. Went in to grab the bowl and she gave me a little growl and stare like you grab and ill bite. So over the last 4 weeks ive been working to calm her down. She still eats like shes starving though lol. What ive been doing. Making her sit/stay before I let her eat. I was putting my hands around her and her bowl then correcting if she growled or tried to bite. Its worked...well up until now. This is the first time Ive given her a knuckle bone and this is what I got.

(I was moving my hand in slowly just to show you how aggressive she gets.)

After correcting a few times and having her sit/stay and her still doing this I took it away. Should I approach this the same way as the last time I did or what?

TheDakotaShow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2014, 04:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Personally I don't like it! Your moving your hand in slowly basically daring her to bite you! Cute now but it won't be in a couple months.

If you have to have that bone?? Much better to demand the pup back up and then take it from her.

Also not a fan of correcting out this type of behaviour? Stop free feeding (if your doing that) quit "correcting" her and start hand feeding her for awhile, it's a puppy not a shark.
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2014, 04:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

well
you are teasing her in that vid and it is no wonder you are getting this reaction

please work on trading up
do not give knuckle bones or other high value treats until you get this under control
you are just making the food aggression worse

put high value treats in her kibble so she looks forward to you coming over
bits of cooked chicken or warmed hot dogs or cheese

you need to be the giver not the one who takes everything
Old 04-05-2014, 05:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

You are heading towards disaster. Correcting a dog that guards it's food from humans is not the way to go.
boomer11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2014, 05:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip18 View Post
Personally I don't like it! Your moving your hand in slowly basically daring her to bite you! Cute now but it won't be in a couple months.

If you have to have that bone?? Much better to demand the pup back up and then take it from her.

Also not a fan of correcting out this type of behaviour? Stop free feeding (if your doing that) quit "correcting" her and start hand feeding her for awhile, it's a puppy not a shark.
Chip. The video is just a sample of what I got when I was close to her and when I reached to get it. I know the slow moving hand wasn't right but I wanted some visual. I think I'm going to start hand feeding soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by my boy diesel View Post
well
you are teasing her in that vid and it is no wonder you are getting this reaction

please work on trading up
do not give knuckle bones or other high value treats until you get this under control
you are just making the food aggression worse

put high value treats in her kibble so she looks forward to you coming over
bits of cooked chicken or warmed hot dogs or cheese

you need to be the giver not the one who takes everything
What do you mean trading up?

Also, I like that idea of giving treats in her kibble. Imma had feed for a little to see how that goes. Also, how can I slow her down from eating my hand when I'm feeding ?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 04-05-2014, 05:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer11 View Post
You are heading towards disaster. Correcting a dog that guards it's food from humans is not the way to go.
I'm looking for help not what I'm doing wrong. I know there is a problem and I want to fix it. Only looking for solutions

Old 04-05-2014, 05:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

My puppy tried that crap with the first bone I gave her. Trading up: I went and got an even bigger bone out of the freezer and sat on the floor holding it out "want some?". She came over and chewed on the bone while I was holding it. Then I grabbed the first bone and encouraged her to chew that one. Back and forth. I added in "can I have it" when I'd pull away the first bone and if she let go I'd hold out another one

Basically teach the dog that you aren't going to take things, you're going to make them better. Like others have said, when she's eating food, walk up and in a cheery voice "here you go" plop some meat in her bowl and walk away. don't leave your fingers in there, don't stand over her. Just give a treat and leave.

Now I'm the object holder. My dog brings valuable stuff to me and wants me to hold it for her. Never is aggressive in any way towards me.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Definitely, start hand feeding. Hand feed each meal. Make her work for each bite - a sit, wait, come, whatever - before she gets that handful of food. Trading up means, you exchange something of greater value for something she already has. Example: a piece of meat is higher value than a piece of kibble. If she resource guarded toys, you could trade her a new toy, for the toy she already had. Never take away. Always give. Let her see that your hand only brings good things. Once she has her food, leave her alone. You can ask her to sit and wait, but once she has obeyed and you have released her, she should be allowed to eat. You could toss a treat into her bowl as you walk by, but don't remove anything, or stick you hand in her bowl.
Stevenzachsmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2014, 05:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDakotaShow View Post
I'm looking for help not what I'm doing wrong. I know there is a problem and I want to fix it. Only looking for solutions

Can't fix something if you don't realize what you're doing is part of the problem
boomer11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2014, 05:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevenzachsmom View Post
Definitely, start hand feeding. Hand feed each meal. Make her work for each bite - a sit, wait, come, whatever - before she gets that handful of food. Trading up means, you exchange something of greater value for something she already has. Example: a piece of meat is higher value than a piece of kibble. If she resource guarded toys, you could trade her a new toy, for the toy she already had. Never take away. Always give. Let her see that your hand only brings good things. Once she has her food, leave her alone. You can ask her to sit and wait, but once she has obeyed and you have released her, she should be allowed to eat. You could toss a treat into her bowl as you walk by, but don't remove anything, or stick you hand in her bowl.

This! ^^^^^ What you are doing now is causing the food aggression. You need to modify how she THINKS about you coming near her food. Not punish her for a natural survival instinct.

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.