German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Training Our Puppy (basic) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-our-puppy-basic/)
-   -   OMG the pee!! (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-our-puppy-basic/433961-omg-pee.html)

A girl and her dog 04-05-2014 12:52 AM

OMG the pee!!
 
Will it ever end?? Will he ever, ever, for the love of all things holy, learn to HOLD the pee? Will he forever just dribble as he pleases whenever the urge strikes?

We just kenneled for the night and I noticed a foul odor in the kennel. I pulled out the blanket and it was rank! I searched for feces, that's how bad it stank. None. He's peeing in the kennel! I put the blanket to be washed, wiped down the kennel, and laid a pee pad in it. Not five minutes had passed and he'd peed on it twice! Wth!?

Seriously, I have no words. I've never had a dog that just doesn't ever learn to hold it. This is a nightmare! I can't train him if he can't hold it.

HELP! SOS! I know this is an old story, and everyone and their mother has potty training issues. I have never had one like this and don't know what to do. And yes, it was me who just vented about his potty training. Someone suggested that I be hyper vigilant. I would love to helicopter over him all day but it's just not possible. I HAVE to leave the room from time to time. I HAVE to take my eyes off of him occasionally.

Peeing in the kennel means that the kennel can't be used as a training took for when I need to leave him. Except to keep his elimination contained.
Should I a) remove blankets and leave the kennel bare, and let him soil himself a few times (which it seems he doesn't care) B) start feeding him in the kennel, c) keep putting a pad in there with him (except that he can push that aside and escape being soiled) d) kennel him at all times unless out to potty and run a bit, but in a slightly undersized crate?

trcy 04-05-2014 12:59 AM

umm, I didn't potty train using a kennel. So, I can't be much help there. My dog only slept in in eat night and whined to go out, but he was 3 months when I got him.

During the day we took him out about every 20 minutes. We had to do the same with Riley also.

My understanding is they don't like to go where they sleep. how long is he being left in the crate? How old is he?

I know when I thought they would never get potty trained they both just started going out all the time. It took a lot of consistency though. Also, alot of carpet cleaner and the spotbot got quite the workout.

shepherdmom 04-05-2014 01:05 AM

How old is he? Bad smelling? Maybe a UTI?

BowWowMeow 04-05-2014 02:10 AM

No, this isn't normal. Have you taken him to the vet? It sounds like he has a UTI or some other medical problem where he can't hold it.

LynneLittlefield 04-05-2014 05:16 AM

Your dog isn't being bad it has a UTI take it to the vet!


Sent from Petguide.com Free App

jocoyn 04-05-2014 05:43 AM

Never had any issues training a GSD. This is not normal. Agree with the others.

A girl and her dog 04-05-2014 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trcy (Post 5328097)
umm, I didn't potty train using a kennel. So, I can't be much help there. My dog only slept in in eat night and whined to go out, but he was 3 months when I got him.

During the day we took him out about every 20 minutes. We had to do the same with Riley also.

My understanding is they don't like to go where they sleep. how long is he being left in the crate? How old is he?

I know when I thought they would never get potty trained they both just started going out all the time. It took a lot of consistency though. Also, alot of carpet cleaner and the spotbot got quite the workout.


Funny you mentioned the spotbot! I priced those yesterday and decided that a full-on self heating carpet machine would be a better value. Y'know, so I can clean the rest of the carpet too :)

He's never left more than 4-5 hours in the kennel at most, even at night. I get up before then or he will wake me up and we'll go out.

A girl and her dog 04-05-2014 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shepherdmom (Post 5328113)
How old is he? Bad smelling? Maybe a UTI?

He's appx 4 months old. I don't think he has a UTI, but will check with the vet, we're going today for flea stuff.... I have been curious about a UTI too, but more b/c of the frequency. Then again, he drinks a lot, so there's that...

A girl and her dog 04-05-2014 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LynneLittlefield (Post 5328345)
Your dog isn't being bad it has a UTI take it to the vet!


Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Well, thanks for THAT! LOL! How would you know? You haven't examined him, have never met him, or me, and all you have to go by is what I write which is subjective to what my opinion of what 'a lot,' 'often,' or 'bad smelling' is. And, where the heck did you get that he was being bad? Geez, some people....

trcy 04-05-2014 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A girl and her dog (Post 5329305)
Funny you mentioned the spotbot! I priced those yesterday and decided that a full-on self heating carpet machine would be a better value. Y'know, so I can clean the rest of the carpet too :)

Yeah, we have a full sized one too. It's just very easy to put the spotbot down and let it clean by itself for quick clean ups. :)


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:24 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2