German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Training Our Puppy (basic) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-our-puppy-basic/)
-   -   Can my dogs release word be eat? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-our-puppy-basic/433889-can-my-dogs-release-word-eat.html)

Airman1stclass 04-04-2014 08:00 PM

Can my dogs release word be eat?

Reason is I just fed my dog, but I used his food to teach him sit. I used the approximately 24 ft space in our home. I made him sit until I said eat which is when he got out of his sit to go eat. It took me about 40 mins but I was able to gradually increase the distance between us by letting him eat a little bit then removing him from the food to increase the distance. Eventually we were on opposite sides of the house. I thought this was amazing. He works mich harder during feeding time than for his treats. But anyway, could I use eat as his release word?

HarleyTheGSD 04-04-2014 08:12 PM

Personally, I like to use one word to let my dogs know that they will be rewarded for their behavior. I say "yes" in replace of the clicker. I make my oldest GSD sit and wait by his food dish (occasionally), then I'll tell him "yes" and he can eat.
Maybe this wasn't exactly the answer you were looking for. If so, my apologies. Someone else will give you a better one. :)

Airman1stclass 04-04-2014 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarleyTheGSD (Post 5326753)
Personally, I like to use one word to let my dogs know that they will be rewarded for their behavior. I say "yes" in replace of the clicker. I make my oldest GSD sit and wait by his food dish (occasionally), then I'll tell him "yes" and he can eat.
Maybe this wasn't exactly the answer you were looking for. If so, my apologies. Someone else will give you a better one. :)

But isn't yes the marker for he did it right? Or is the marker the same thing as the release word?

David Winners 04-04-2014 08:20 PM

The Michael Ellis videos are worth a million typed words.

That is where I think you should start IMHO

HarleyTheGSD 04-04-2014 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Airman1stclass (Post 5326801)
But isn't yes the marker for he did it right? Or is the marker the same thing as the release word?

Indeed it is. Maybe it's just me, but I would consider the release word the same as a mark. You tell him to sit, and when he does, you use your release word? I would say it's the same as a mark.
I hope other members will chime in, I don't want to give you wrong information. :o

SuperG 04-04-2014 08:28 PM

Training over a food bowl unlocks a human's understanding of what a GSD is capable of.....I'll suggest your pup is more than capable of learning many verbal commands.....use whatever you choose....no reason to ever fill limited.

SuperG

Airman1stclass 04-04-2014 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Winners (Post 5326825)
The Michael Ellis videos are worth a million typed words.

That is where I think you should start IMHO

I actually kind of got this technique from him. I definitely need to invest in some of his videos. Don't know where to start. Im pretty sure he has plenty of them.

Airman1stclass 04-04-2014 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarleyTheGSD (Post 5326849)
Indeed it is. Maybe it's just me, but I would consider the release word the same as a mark. You tell him to sit, and when he does, you use your release word? I would say it's the same as a mark.
I hope other members will chime in, I don't want to give you wrong information. :o

So what if I want him to continue doing the command, what should I say or do to keep him from leaving the position?

Airman1stclass 04-04-2014 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperG (Post 5326865)
Training over a food bowl unlocks a human's understanding of what a GSD is capable of.....I'll suggest your pup is more than capable of learning many verbal commands.....use whatever you choose....no reason to ever fill limited.

SuperG

Yes it does. I have so much more faith in my pup and myself now.

David Winners 04-04-2014 08:39 PM

The Power of Training Dogs with Food DVD