Commercial treats or Hotdogs? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2014, 08:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Commercial treats or Hotdogs?

So my puppy is running low on treats and im just wondering should I just start using hotdogs. Treats im looking at getting or cloud star brand training treats. Any advice?
Airman1stclass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2014, 08:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I don't usually give hot dogs(or eat them!) but do give string or cubed cheese and natural balance or red barn rolls that I cut into pea sized training treats or tracking bait.
I've wanted to order this, many of the people I train with swear by it, now that we're back to tracking I probably will get some for tracking bait: Happy Howie's Meat Rolls
Old 04-02-2014, 08:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

I wouldn't buy any treats from chain stores like petsmart or pet Co. They don't care about your dog. They care about making money and they will put anything on their shelves. There's a reason some of the higher quality respectable dog food brands refuse to sell to them.

If you buy treats go to a small pet boutique store. All the treats in there are usually made in USA. I'd go with natural balance rolls. It's firm enough to cut into a nice training size.

Hot dogs are great but they are very high in sodium. Imo the best treats are homemade because you know exactly what is going into them.
boomer11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2014, 08:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'll boil some chicken breast or grill a cheap low fat steak like london broil. Cut them into a ton of tiny bite sized treats and you've got yourself a high value treat.

If you want to go commercial, I like zukes.
Lucy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2014, 08:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
I don't usually give hot dogs(or eat them!) but do give string or cubed cheese and natural balance or red barn rolls that I cut into pea sized training treats or tracking bait.
I've wanted to order this, many of the people I train with swear by it, now that we're back to tracking I probably will get some for tracking bait: Happy Howie's Meat Rolls
Thabks I'll definitely check these outs. I actually have natural balance rolls now. He enjoys these. He isn't crazy for them.
Airman1stclass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2014, 09:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

I use hot dogs, but not solely. I don't get the cheap ones like bar s, (mushy texture), I alternate with diced turkey, chicken, cheese and steak. Hot dogs are pretty high in sodium I think. Packs of breakfast steaks (thin cut) cooked and diced and frozen end up being Cheaper than quality commercial treats. Cooking a whole turkey can keep u in treats for awhile too. I used to cook a lb of hamburger patties, dice and freeze. (Haven't done that for awhile, don't know why) there's so many high quality treats you can make yourself. And it winds up being more economical. And they last a long time in the freezer. Not to mention variety. I do use some store bought treats, but mostly if I'm out and don't want my pockets all greasy.
Jakesworld is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2014, 09:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

I just got some Paws Gourmet, but I think I will start making treats at home. Much more economical and healthy.

Leerburg | Soft Training Treats
eddie1976E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2014, 09:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

I think the Cloud Star treats are great - Jedda LOVES the chewy ones, and they're tiny so you don't end up stuffing her in a training session. They don't crumble in your pocket either. I found a deal on a variety of flavors on Amazon. They don't have salt or sugar in them, which I like. Good luck!
kjdreyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2014, 10:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman1stclass View Post
So my puppy is running low on treats and im just wondering should I just start using hotdogs. Treats im looking at getting or cloud star brand training treats. Any advice?
Try making your own. My dog loves these. I use ground flax seed instead of corn meal. http://m.allrecipes.com/recipe/18027...event10,event8
I also give my puppy hot dogs. But I wouldn't give them all the time =)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Diesel7602 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2014, 11:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Does he like icecubes? My dogs go absolutely wild for frozen calves liver cubes. I broil 3 or 4 of them at once then cut them up and put them in 4 or 5 freezer bags.

Just be warned, liver's kinda nasty when you take out a bag for training and it sits in your pocket for an hour class. Venus loves cheese too but Otto's lactose intolerant and has low tolerance for fat so I have to treat with lean meat.

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
SunCzarina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.