German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Training Our Puppy (basic) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-our-puppy-basic/)
-   -   How should I be walking my 12 week old pup? Letting him pull? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-our-puppy-basic/432825-how-should-i-walking-my-12-week-old-pup-letting-him-pull.html)

GRANBYsyztem 04-02-2014 05:34 PM

How should I be walking my 12 week old pup? Letting him pull?

Should I be correcting? or just kind of letting him sniff and pull, etc? Right now if he starts to pull or tug I stop and just stand there until he decides to sit and look up at me. Then I step off again. But sometimes I do this, then as soon as I take one step forward he takes off ahead of me and starts pulling on the leash again. Should I be using corrections at 12 weeks? or just letting him do as he pleases? I've noticed when I make sure he stays right next to me and follows me, hes better about ignoring outside distractions to include barking dogs, cars, people walking by, etc. Is this too early for a 12 week old pup? When/how should I start incorporating a heel? And once your dog is taught to heel... should they be heeling the entire walk? or are those two separate things, a walk and a heel? Thanks!

Chip18 04-02-2014 05:41 PM

A link is here on loose leash walking:
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...allenging.html
:)

KHLOE 04-02-2014 07:14 PM

My dog Is 3 months 2 weeks old and She pulls like crazy too sometimes it drives me nuts and I don't know how to stop her!! It is usually when she is on a sniffing trail. It helps me to train during the walk I bring treats for when she is walking right and when she gets carried away with pulling and other things I call her to me to sit and shake and stuff like that it usually gets her mind back on me. I am not sure if this is correct but it seems to be working ok but she is a puppy and way to curious for her own good.

Cassidy's Mom 04-02-2014 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GRANBYsyztem (Post 5313385)
Should I be correcting? or just kind of letting him sniff and pull, etc?

I'd rather see you teach him what you expect than to correct him for not doing it! But that doesn't mean you need to let him pull, and it's up to you how much sniffing you want to allow. I like to ask for a sit and "watch" (eye contact) before releasing my dogs to "go sniff", but at 12 weeks old he's got a very short attention span so you need to keep your expectations reasonable.

Quote:

Right now if he starts to pull or tug I stop and just stand there until he decides to sit and look up at me. Then I step off again. But sometimes I do this, then as soon as I take one step forward he takes off ahead of me and starts pulling on the leash again. Should I be using corrections at 12 weeks? or just letting him do as he pleases?
Rather than just stopping, I'll start walking backwards or I'll abruptly turn and walk in the opposite direction. Even if you're not actually "correcting" him (which isn't really fair since he doesn't know what he's supposed to do yet) you don't have to let him do whatever he wants either, there's actually quite a bit of ground between those two extreme options. :)

Quote:

When/how should I start incorporating a heel? And once your dog is taught to heel... should they be heeling the entire walk? or are those two separate things, a walk and a heel? Thanks!
Heeling is a pretty advanced skill that takes some time to train. You can certainly start working on it now, but don't expect him to pick it up right away. I personally don't think it's fair or (probably realistic either) for a dog to remain in a perfect heel for an entire walk. For me, a nice loose leash walk without pulling is more than sufficient for most situations. I actually rarely use the heel command and am not even sure if my dogs remember what it means, lol. But I do have very specific criteria for a LLW that I enforce consistently. If you click on this link it will take you to a post where I explain how I train the loose leash walk: http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...ml#post4339746

sourdough44 04-03-2014 07:00 AM

12 weeks is a little on the young side. As the pup gets older I wouldn't have a problem using a 'prong collar'. With the prong there is no need for the owner to tug or add a 'correction', the dog will figure out it's uncomfortable to pull.

We used a prong collar on 2 hard pulling Labs, worked like a charm. No one method works for everyone.

Olly 04-03-2014 05:54 PM

I tried walking my 7 week old (only to the corner and back)... LOL is all I can say.

David Taggart 04-03-2014 06:16 PM

12 weeks is an age when you should train him to follow you, thus showing him you are the leader. In some park, or in the woods let him walk off leash after you. Invent some melody and whistle, you can use tongue clicking, and call him after yourself, don't stop if he stops, just continue walking and calling. In the busy areas use the same signal to lure him after yourself if he tends to pull to some dog, you can do it in combination with his toy ( never walk out without his toy in your pocket). Don't try to keep him close to yourself, but mainly use a long leash to let him to explore the world of smells.

SuperG 04-03-2014 06:34 PM

All three GSD pups I have had over the decades I did the same thing. All 3 of them seemed very similar in respects to them sticking to me like glue as they explored the great outdoors (backyard).....always making sure I was in sight. Once they started to venture further out, I would hide behind a tree or the shed and watch their reaction when they checked to see where I was...the moment their reaction changed ....I would step out in view and the puppy would come running back to me....of course I'd be all jacked and kill the pup with kindness and praise. Eventually I would stay hidden and the pup would come search me out...I always could see the pup and if for a second I sensed that the pup was out of sorts in any negative fashion...I would step out of hiding and per usual the pup would come a-bounding....always thought it might help solidify the "team" .....they're only pups once.

SuperG

GRANBYsyztem 04-04-2014 02:19 AM

@Cassidy's Mom, thank you. I read over the threat you linked. A lot of great info in there. I also tried your walk backwards method today. Seemed to help after a few times.

@David, not very easy finding a secluded area around where I live. I'd have to drive a bit of a ways to get to some place like that. I've noticed a lot of aggressive dogs in the neighborhood on walks. And not excited dogs. I mean.. showing teeth, growling. and most owners dont seem to have a care in the world. I wouldn't want my pup off leash around here. Throw in the cars and other dangers.. without a 100% fail-prood recall, i wouldnt have him off leash. His recall is pretty good, even with distractions (cuz i ALWAYS have a treat when i use recall. ALWAYS. if not i mark, and run to grab a treat right away) but its not 100% yet.

@SuperG, yea, the kiddo seems pretty attached to me right now. I've been making my mom spend more and more time with him, as i'll be starting school soon and gone for a large portion of the day. So I've got my mom getting involved with a lot of the training and building the bond with him. I'd say she's number two out of the whole family in his eyes. The other day we were on a walk on this trail that alot of the dog owners like to walk on, and i was trying to show my mom how to walk him.. after he was doing good for about 5 minutes i told her to continue going without me. When she tried to walk away, König turned around and went crazy trying to come back to me. So I ended up telling my mom to let go when i said "come" and he came sprinting back to me even with other dogs and people around. Im pretty confident that if i DID go off leash with him outside.. he'd stick around fairly close to me. But definitely doesnt stop him from pulling on the leash.

Thanks for all the replies everyone!