Pottying In A Certain Spot In The Yard - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2014, 11:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Pottying In A Certain Spot In The Yard

Zeus is 13 wks old, he is doing absolutely fabulous with his potty training, he rarely has an accidents, the problem is where he potties outside, we have a completely fenced in yard and when he needs to go out we just open the door and let him out, he has taken to pottying right outside the back door, how do I get him to walk further out in the yard first? Should I still go out with him and coax him further out?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
critterlady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2014, 12:27 AM   #2 (permalink)

Walk the dog on a leash to the spot where you want the dog to go, treat when the dog potties there until he gets it. However, I did have an Afghan hound who was as dumb as a post and could not learn this! My huskies and GSD learned very quickly, on leash until they got it, though.
Juliem24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2014, 02:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

We just lead him in a certain area, around the side of the house where the kids usually dont go to play. He got used to it and will walk himself to that area.
daisyrunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2014, 02:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I agree with the other posts, simply lead him to where you want him to go and praise when he does. Do it for a few days and see if he'll do it himself without coaxing, if he does mega rewards and praise. If he doesn't keep leading him there for a few more days then try again

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2014, 09:53 AM   #5 (permalink)

This is a very useful idea! I look forward to trying this!
PMRonan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2014, 10:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Pick it up with a shovel and move it to the appropriate area - then leave it there for a few days. Don't scold but do tell him 'Zeus, poopies go over here.' When he does go in the right area, praise him because he is the best dog in the whole wide world!!!

I've never taken my pups out to potty on a leash - causes too much excitement and confusion for my adult dog that s/he is going for a walk. They all learned where they're supposed to go - all the way around the other side of the house from the back door.

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
SunCzarina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2014, 11:29 AM   #7 (permalink)

I will try moving it and see how that works.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
critterlady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2014, 11:40 AM   #8 (permalink)

I'm a first time owner. When we got our GSD pup I had to take him out on a leash because we had no fence in our backyard. We also got him in October, which meant I did it through a MI winter.. Yippie! After he was about 10 months old we moved and our yard had a fence. I continued to take him out on the leash to train him to go on the side of the garage, where my kids don't play. I just walked him over, gave him his command for pee/poop, and treated him when he complied.

After a month or so of doing this, I started walking with him to the area, but not on a leash and rewarded him complied. If he took off on me, I'd go back to the leash stage. Once he was doing it with no leash, I would stand outside the back door and point to the area, giving him his command. When he finished I called him to come, and he got rewarded.

Now I just open the door, and give him the command as he's running out and he's be really good about it.

My point is to try and break it down into smaller achievements if you aren't getting the result you want. If may be more of a pain for you, but it will be easier for the dog.
Peter. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.