German Shepherds Forum banner

Potty training nightmare

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  middleofnowhere 
#1 ·
I have a new 11 week old GSD, Mya. Let me give you a back ground... Mya was kept in a cage by the breeder (not the best breeder by all means) and I believe she was never taken out of the cage. She peed, pooped, ate and slept in this cage. I brought her home Saturday and she did very well, considering her circumstances she came from, while potty training the first couple of days but now she is being defiant. She is refusing to potty when taken outside. She has a designated potty spot, I always take her to potty on a leash out the same door to the same spot taking the same path. When we get to her potty spot I tell her "go potty" everytime and when she does go she gets praise and a treat. But many times she refuses to go pee or poop even though she has drank a good bit of her water and/or ate. I watch her like a hawk in the house and she is never out of my sight so I know that when she is refusing to go that she has not gone in the house. I will take her 30 min from the time she ate/drank then again 20-30 min later and then again and again. She has a safe room she stays in while I am at work and my teenage daughter takes her out when she gets home from school. Could it be the change in who is taking her potty that is causing the issue? When I am having to leave for work I will take her out several times in the morning staying out with her 10-15 min a time and she will refuse to go (note that she has ate and drank) then I have to put her in her safe room and she pees and poops everywhere! What do I do? HELP! I have only had this pup for a week and am already in love with her but I am getting frustrated.

See less See more
#4 ·
I understand that puppy training takes time but she is refusing to go. I thought maybe there was something else I could do to help her understand because I am pretty sure she has to go when taken out.
As for a crate, this is a personal choice. She was caged long enough. I personally like to the safe room technique.

#6 ·
I understand that puppy training takes time but she is refusing to go. I thought maybe there was something else I could do to help her understand because I am pretty sure she has to go when taken out.
As for a crate, this is a personal choice. She was caged long enough. I personally like to the safe room technique.
I think the safe room is a great long-term plan, and I can see why you would feel strongly about caging her more. But maybe limit her space a little more just until you get her housebroken? I think it is way harder to housebreak if the puppy has a lot of space because then they feel like they can go and then get away from it. In a crate they can't get away from it and so they usually won't soil the crate. I think it will be really difficult to break since she seems to think the safe room is where she should potty.

#5 ·
but now she is being defiant.

Hi Tremor - I think rather than being defiant she just doesn't understand yet what is expected of her. I also had a dog once that was kept in a dirty kennel as a puppy, and it took a LONG time to housebreak him. He would actually go to the bathroom then lay in it.

If possible, I would start crate training her if you haven't already. It really helps with potty training. And also, try not to come back inside with her until she has went to the bathroom outside. She seems to think the safe room is where she is supposed to go to the bathroom, so I would be sure not to give her the chance to do it again by crating her.

My GSD was housebroken pretty quickly, but he still had occasional accidents for a month or so after coming hom. I think one week home isn't near enough time to expect a puppy to be housebroken, esp one like yours who maybe didn't have any prior training.

Good luck!

#7 ·
Each puppy is a little bit different. I found taking my boy out 20 min after eating was a waste of time. He would just look up at me and then want to play... It was more like an hour after eating before he started sniffing around. Watch your pup closely you will soon figure out what her puppy dance is. When she starts it scoop her up and get her outside. :)

#8 ·
I would encourage the crate training too. A crate, when used properly, is a safe place for puppies, and a lot of dogs really like it. It really helps with potty training. We only use the crate if we won't be home for awhile, but if the door was open all the time, Warden would probably prefer to nap in it too (we keep it closed because he always manages to squash his ears when he sleeps in there, and they are soft enough as it is lol )

I know this can take longer with dogs that have had to use their crate as a potty, but dogs will tend to want to avoid lying in their own pee and poo. This combined with the praise and treat party you will throw for her every time she goes outside will help her learn where the right place to go is. Right now, she is choosing to use the safe room because she can pee and poop whenever with no pressure from you, and then she can go play and lie in a dry space after.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#9 ·
Just wanted to make sure all understood that I am not expecting Mya to be trained in a week and I know it will take time to get her potty trained, I have just never had a dog that was so determined to not go potty. I will think about the crate. I just hate to do that to her with her prior circumstance. The room she stays in is a small bathroom and she is one that does not seem to mind stepping in her business. I am afraid that even with a crate she will go and lie and step all in it. I am up for the challenge. She is well worth the work!

#10 ·
she is one that does not seem to mind stepping in her business. I am afraid that even with a crate she will go and lie and step all in it.

that is exactly how my dog was, and it was such a challenge. I just kept washing him everytime he would do it, and I think he got used to being clean and grew to like it. It took a full year to realiably potty train him. But the good news is once he was trained he was great and very reliable with it.

#11 ·
She is not being defiant.

Have you ever punished the dog for pottying in the house?

Can you be certain that your daughter is actually doing this properly as well. If the dog pottyies in front of people and the people over-react, then the dog will be afraid to potty when people are paying attention to it. They need to know that pottying in the right place is the really, really good, happy voices, etc.

If teenage daughter was on the phone with BF, but has to take puppy out and the puppy isn't performing quickly enough, or is being jerked outside because someone is feeling irritated, then it can make house training a nightmare.

#12 ·
At 7 mos I think my most challenging house training project has finally suceeded.

I am going to suggest that you stay outside until she goes (ok so this is a long long time - yeah, it is inconvenient & frustrating). Then you name it & have a party with lots of praise. And I agree with crating her inside. It will be easier to clean the crate than clean the whole room.

Another thought if you decide to continue with the room rather than the crate is to use a piddle pad for her. That would at least provide a target. Once she gets used to the piddle pad (they seem to be very attractive for dogs) and targetting it, you could try a piddle pad outside.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.