German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Training Our Puppy (basic) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-our-puppy-basic/)
-   -   Not wanting to come after I give her eardrops? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-our-puppy-basic/430394-not-wanting-come-after-i-give-her-eardrops.html)

Serbrider 03-28-2014 03:55 AM

Not wanting to come after I give her eardrops?

Arya has had ear stuff for the past couple weeks, first very mild scratching and I thought it would go away, and then increased into constant itching and upset, so went to the vet and was given eardrops. They DO make her ears feel better, but she doesn't like them put in.

And then right afterwards, for a good 5-10 minutes she does not want to come to me, at all.

What I've done is not force her, but just hold a very tempting treat in my hand, maybe say "come" a couple times as encouragement, but not pushing or demanding. And then she'll grab a bite and run off. And there's another 5 minutes of that before she will come to me on command and stick with me to play, and then won't stop following me. :p

Silly girl.

But yeah... just want to confirm that I'm resolving this issue in the right way. She has to have her eardrops to start feeling better (which she is), for another week and a half, morning and night. But this is kinda silly. I give her high value treats during and right afterwards, all the while telling her what a good girl she is. And yet when I do let her go, she runs to the opposite side of the room, rubs her ears on something, and then lays down there and glares at me like a grumpy child. :rolleyes:

And... because she's cute... here's her picture from today, officially 12 weeks old. :)

https://scontent-a-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/...13000381_n.jpg

llombardo 03-28-2014 09:18 AM

When you have to put the ear drops in do you call her to you or go to her? Calling her to you for something unpleasant can destroy the come command. When you tell her to come it should ALWAYS be for good stuff

Shade 03-28-2014 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by llombardo (Post 5283554)
When you have to put the ear drops in do you call her to you or go to her? Calling her to you for something unpleasant can destroy the come command. When you tell her to come it should ALWAYS be for good stuff

Agreed, if I have to do something like clip nails (which my poodle hates) I never call them, I simply walk to where they are and get the business done. Afterwards it's treats and praise or a play session to make up for the "bad" thing that just happened but I don't make a fuss about it in any way beforehand

Serbrider 03-28-2014 11:35 AM

I go get her, not call her over. Come is for good stuff like you said, not that. She just kinda avoids me in general for 5-15 minutes after I put them in even if I try to do a play session and make it a fun good thing.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

llombardo 03-28-2014 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Serbrider (Post 5284282)
I go get her, not call her over. Come is for good stuff like you said, not that. She just kinda avoids me in general for 5-15 minutes after I put them in even if I try to do a play session and make it a fun good thing.

You go get her and bring her to a different spot or go go her and treat on the spot?

Serbrider 03-28-2014 11:45 AM

I've done a mix of both. Mostly took her to a slightly different spot/position, but I haven't been giving them to her all in the same spot.

Freestep 03-28-2014 12:23 PM

She is really tugging at your heartstrings, isn't she? :) I wouldn't worry about it; you're doing all the right things. Go to her to give the ear drops, give her a treat and praise afterward, and then don't worry about it if she gives you the cold shoulder for a few minutes. She'll get over it, and after this round of ear meds is over, she will likely forget all about it.

I had a dog (not a GSD) who occasionally got ear infections and HATED having his ears cleaned. If he saw me with any kind of bottle in my hand, he'd avoid me like the plague and I'd have to chase him down. Then after ear cleaning, he'd run off and rub his ears on the grass and want nothing to do with me. I felt bad at first, but after a while, I decided to let him pout, and didn't worry about it. I'd commiserate with him, saying "Oh, you poor dear! I'm so sorry you were tortured! Will you ever be the same?" He always got over it, and within 15 minutes or so he'd come back to me wanting attention. :)

Serbrider 03-28-2014 12:25 PM

Lol, that's kinda what I'm doing, let her pout but I'm still there with play and treats whenever she's done. :p

wyoung2153 03-28-2014 12:44 PM

I'm curious what you do WHILE you are doing the drops.. sounds silly, but Titan absolutely HATES ear drops.. I mean he comes to me no matter what all the time.. but when he had an ear infection that went on for 2 weeks and had drops twice a day, when the bottle was brought out, he was hiding somewhere. I had to call him, but I called him with treats and gave him a bunch. I then kept a handfull on the floor where I was going to do the drops. With the drops he had, I had to put them in his ear and the massage them for a minute. When I was massaging them, he got treats and praises! then right after the drops he got to play with his ball.. Not that he ever learned to like the ear drop time, but he stopped running away, and stopped sulking quite as much when he was done. The playtime right after was the hit.. but he is addicted to a tennis ball and fetching so that was the best reward to give him.

Serbrider 03-28-2014 12:53 PM

I do them, I give her treats if she's being good, rub her ears after the drops are in, tell her what a good girl she is, and right after I try to play with her, which she'll do for a moment, then it's like she remembers she's upset, shoots off, rubs her ears, then does avoidance for 5-15 minutes.