Mistakes made being a new puppy parent - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2014, 10:39 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Mistakes made being a new puppy parent

Hello everyone,

I am in the process of doing my due diligence in researching German Shepherds and breeders. Of course upon researching I have come across a lot of new information which made me think...What are some the mistakes that anyone made as a new puppy parent they wish they would have known before they had their pup?
lamoore247 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2014, 11:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Biggest initial mistake I made was assuming my normal daily activity especially sleep patterns would remain intact. I also was taught the virtue of patience via the pups I've had over my life as I would not consider myself a champion at patience...however I am much more patient today thanks to the pups.

I also would have better served my first pups by being a bit more protective in the beginning months...not to say I should have isolated them from the world but more along the lines that I should have been more aware of any potentially negative situations that could arise during this important time period in a dog's life. Going forward with each new pup I've had over the decades has taught me that it is much easier to indoctrinate a pup with a very discerning and alert "eye" rather than having to deal with any negative situations during this developmental stage.

Even though I was aware that GSD pups require a bit more "effort" and patience than other breeds, I was somewhat surprised how often my patience was tried by these lovable little fur balls replete with needle-like teeth.

The fact that you are doing your DD and asking questions would indicate that you are well on your way to providing wonderfully for a new GSD pup. Believe me, the effort you put into raising a GSD properly is so well worth it as you will have the most incredible furry companion you could wish for. Keep us posted when your new pup arrives and the journey begins.

SuperG
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2014, 11:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I would never have started taking Delgado to dog parks, it was fine while it lasted but created a whole other set of bad habits which had to be trained out. Not all parks are equal and there are some real bad owners out there that don't care about the dog they bring. It can be great for some dogs but not all

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2014, 11:48 AM   #4 (permalink)

I would be both more patient and more strict, and realize the puppy stage goes so quickly. I don't think I did enough initially to train him around the house. Now he is good, but he could have been better trained earlier. I also think I underestimated the land shark phase, and wasn't consistent enough so it ended up lasting longer. I didn't enjoy him as much as I should have when he was a puppy, but then again I don't tend to be a puppy person.

things that worked for us - taking both training classes and working with a trainer individually. also - I started being much more diligent about playing in the yard until he was tired out. Setting consistent time to tire him out really made both our lives better. It was well worth it to take the time away from cooking/cleaning etc. to have him calm for a few hours.

I was aware that GSDs take more work, but I still don't think I was totally prepared for the reality of it.
Lark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2014, 11:52 AM   #5 (permalink)

I have heard so many horror stories from dog parks and petsmart type of stores!! I guess some people just let their pups run amuck

Thanks so much for your responses though. I may make the active mistake. I feel I am pretty active with the beach, walking, jogging, etc and I have the feeling that my pup may run circles around me haha.
lamoore247 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2014, 12:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

I think the amount of effort is what I didn't anticipate. Everyone's experience is different but I did not have the relax time, "me" time, sleep time, or friends time I was used to. Honestly, it felt like NONE sometimes. Be prepared to feel that way on occasion, it's not a good feeling!

Things that have made a world of difference to us:

- A good vet with lots of GSD experience
- A good trainer and training club with daycare and boarding options
- A good exercise routine!!
- And, in my experience, researching common puppy problems beforehand! And having some solutions in mind for stuff like - diarrhea, puppy biting, crate training, potty training, chewing, jumping up, etc!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 03-31-2014, 01:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

I did my research before hand, so I was aware, but I can see people not doing that and being ready to get rid of the pup after a week if they arent prepared for the nippy new "toddler" they have in the house! I am also glad I learned early on before I picked a breeder that not all German Shepherds are the same (working vs show lines), and what to look for in a breeder. My neighbor is looking to get a pup (not GSD), and the one thing I told her over and over is to do her research.
daisyrunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2014, 01:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamoore247 View Post
I have heard so many horror stories from dog parks and petsmart type of stores!! I guess some people just let their pups run amuck

Thanks so much for your responses though. I may make the active mistake. I feel I am pretty active with the beach, walking, jogging, etc and I have the feeling that my pup may run circles around me haha.
Aww dog parks..."I though my dog was friendly folks!"

My cue:

New Dog, Very Challenging
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2014, 04:08 AM   #9 (permalink)

Getting impatient and losing my cool. This really takes you several steps back in building your bond with the puppy. I expected way too much from my little guy. And sometimes, they are so smart.. and learn so quick, that you forget they're literally just BABIES.. and then start getting frustrated wondering why he is still having accidents in the house at 9 weeks. Then you realize "oh.. duh. It's really only been one week."

And then.. not really TRULY realizing what it means to bring home a German Shepherd puppy. You've probably seen it on the forum before, heard it from a buddy, and im warning you now... These GSD pups are on a whole other level.

Oh and PICTURES!! Pictures in all sorts of situations and places and poses and whatever you can think of haha Live with the camera glued to your hand. I feel like the GSD's lose that pure puppy face pretty quick compared to some other dogs cuz they develop that strong square snout pretty early. Still friggin adorable at 12 weeks, but he's definitely starting to get those german shepherd traits. After about the first two weeks I'd sometimes look at him in the evening and seriously feel like hes grown since the afternoon. So take plenty of pictures! It'll be too late before you know it.
GRANBYsyztem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2014, 04:31 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamoore247 View Post
Hello everyone,

I am in the process of doing my due diligence in researching German Shepherds and breeders. Of course upon researching I have come across a lot of new information which made me think...What are some the mistakes that anyone made as a new puppy parent they wish they would have known before they had their pup?
I have always had puppies and dogs around, so it was really more evolving my own style. But here is the single most important thing I have learned. Before you bring puppy home, lay down on the floor and look around. It will give you a look at things you would never notice, or think of and may save your puppies life.
Sabis mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.