German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Training Our Puppy (basic) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-our-puppy-basic/)
-   -   How do you teach a 9w pup to stop jumping on couch and chewing furniture. (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-our-puppy-basic/428458-how-do-you-teach-9w-pup-stop-jumping-couch-chewing-furniture.html)

TheDakotaShow 03-23-2014 08:00 PM

How do you teach a 9w pup to stop jumping on couch and chewing furniture.

Any help with this? Ive tried the "NO" approach and then moving her to a different place. But its not helping. Also, if I goto grab her away she nips at me lol.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

BroncoK 03-23-2014 08:15 PM

Do you have something that she can chew on after you tell her no? Like a bully stick for instance. Say NO, then give her the bully stick to chew on, so she gets the message, you can't chew on MY things, but here, chew on this!

Packen 03-23-2014 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDakotaShow (Post 5254578)
Any help with this? Ive tried the "NO" approach and then moving her to a different place. But its not helping. Also, if I goto grab her away she nips at me lol.

Put her in a crate.

TheDakotaShow 03-23-2014 08:19 PM

Don't have any type of flavored bones. Just tennis balls, couple kongs, tug toy. Do the flavored bones work better?

TheDakotaShow 03-23-2014 08:21 PM

Also, she's very stubborn. Its not that easy with her. She ignores the toy almost everyone and comes after it again.

Sabis mom 03-23-2014 09:21 PM

She sounds like a normal puppy. Keep at it they don't learn overnight.

TheDakotaShow 03-23-2014 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Packen (Post 5254738)
Put her in a crate.

Wouldnt that be punishing her. And you're not supposed to do that

LoveEcho 03-23-2014 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDakotaShow (Post 5255338)

Use the crate as a re-set button when she gets too wound up. It's not a punishment if you do it right, it's simply giving her a moment to calm down. Puppies are like toddlers and will throw tantrums (and get very mouthy) of over-tired and/or over-stimulated.

Packen 03-23-2014 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDakotaShow (Post 5255338)

Where did you get that idea?

TigervTeMar 03-23-2014 10:11 PM

I think packen is entirely correct. hitting is punishing. since they crave being active and the center of attention as puppies, putting her in her kennel immediately after saying 'NO' when she chews should be effective. if she has an option to chew on OK stuff like toys and not get put in time-out, or the sofa and immediately have to spend some time alone she should learn.

the greatest challenge will be you rounding up a puppy every time she chews, but keep at it regularly and know she'll catch on one day and you'll never have to do it again.