German Shepherds Forum banner

How do you teach a 9w pup to stop jumping on couch and chewing furniture.

2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  owens91 
#1 ·
Any help with this? Ive tried the "NO" approach and then moving her to a different place. But its not helping. Also, if I goto grab her away she nips at me lol.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#10 ·
I think packen is entirely correct. hitting is punishing. since they crave being active and the center of attention as puppies, putting her in her kennel immediately after saying 'NO' when she chews should be effective. if she has an option to chew on OK stuff like toys and not get put in time-out, or the sofa and immediately have to spend some time alone she should learn.

the greatest challenge will be you rounding up a puppy every time she chews, but keep at it regularly and know she'll catch on one day and you'll never have to do it again.

#12 ·
well there are many options to choose from, you could get a little dinner bell and whenever she chews ring it, and if she keeps chewing she goes in the kennel. and yes, some people say you aren't supposed to use her safe place as punishment. so if you do try this method don't yell or cuff her just put her in there and make no deal out of it at all. a couple minutes in there, or until she stops whining or crying cause you don't want her to think that's her ticket out of timeout.

this will honestly take some dedication from you, my guy bites relentlessly and even though I have cut up fingers I am just not going to round him up every time and put him in timeout. when the biting gets tiring I started saying 'NO' and if he keeps going I go up on a couch and ignore him. this works somewhat because he'll whine and I know he wants to keep playing but he gets that I've moved away. but my fingers are less expensive than furniture so I may, if he starts chewing less renewable stuff, start the timeout method.

#14 ·
Putting a puppy in a crate is management. If you were doing it your puppy would have never learned to find value in jumping on a couch or chewing furniture in the first place.

Your lack of management created a situation where you will probably have to punish sooner or later.

#15 ·
my 5 week pup does this same thing except her bed is in her crate, she will chew on her own bed as well as carpet, and she sometimes nip at the couch, i think teaching her bite inhibition has helped i noticed she dont bite as hard as she first did when i got her

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.