German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Training Our Puppy (basic) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-our-puppy-basic/)
-   -   How do you teach 'drop it'? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-our-puppy-basic/427114-how-do-you-teach-drop.html)

AndreaLS687 03-20-2014 08:51 PM

How do you teach 'drop it'?

I have no idea how to teach the drop it command. Otto just won't let go of a toy unless I play tug for it and win.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

wyoung2153 03-20-2014 08:56 PM

Essentially "trade" for a treat. Get his treats out and play with him with the toy. when you want him to drop it, say your command and show the treat. once he drops it, praise/mark, and treat. He should get it rather quickly.

AndreaLS687 03-20-2014 09:07 PM

I have tried that. He isn't very food motivated so I have tried it with toys and still can't get him to drop it. So far all toys are equal to him so its like he saying 'im good. This toy will do. Take the other one away'

Minoli 03-20-2014 09:14 PM

It took my boy a few months to fully understand 'drop it' on the first command. He learned by playing fetch almost daily, I'd gently pull the ball out of his mouth and say drop it, before picking it up with the ChuckIt again. I'm sure there are better ways to do it, this is how Leo learned and has been great with the command.

boomer11 03-20-2014 09:16 PM

I would grab the toy is his mouth but instead of tugging make the toy go limp and give the out command. All the while have another toy in your other hand and make that toy jump and move. He'll eventually want to play with the fun toy and not the limp toy. When he grabs onto the other toy then play tug with him. Dog is smart. He'll learn quickly what out or drop it means.

I will say that the dog should want whatever is in your hand. A toy, a rag, or a shoe etc. If you play tug and once he "wins" and runs off with it instead of giving it back to you then you should take a step back and rethink engagement training. He should think you are fun, not the toy.

SunCzarina 03-20-2014 09:21 PM

I'm highly entertained you have this puppy with the same name and same mentality.

It's really simple, you can't play tug for win. When my Otto was young, I had guy friends try to wrestle the ball out of his mouth. No we don't play that way. Don't play fake out with him either. We have to play 2 ball. I have to have one too and they both have to be toys that he chose to play with that day. LOL some days I'll throw 12 balls at him and he decides which 2 he wants. Frustrating dog! My female picks a ball and she'll chase that ONE ball for 20 minutes. Not Otto, he needs to play games that only he knows the rules. He likes to fake out too, especially in the yard. Drop his ball, I go to pick it up, Psych, he takes it.

Packen 03-20-2014 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndreaLS687 (Post 5238282)
I have no idea how to teach the drop it command. Otto just won't let go of a toy unless I play tug for it and win.

He should always win, you let go when he tugs, he wins. 1 out of 10 time you do not let go but hold toy still, he will let go out of boredom, you give it back to him immediately. Do a 100 sessions like this, then on the 1 out of 10 times when you hold it still say "out". Another 100 sessions and he will learn yet not go down in drive. If you go the shortcut way then he will drop it but in a very sad and slow manner, you pick what you like.

trcy 03-21-2014 12:15 AM

Kaleb used to steal things and run outside with them. After several attempts at chasing him around the yard I started trading for treats and saying good drop it when it let go of it for the treat. One day I forgot the treat, I told him to drop it and he did.

Gretchen 03-21-2014 12:23 AM

Find a substitute for what he has in his mouth.

Jakesworld 03-21-2014 12:59 AM

Jake likes to pick up anything and everything. He grabs things off side tables , coffee table anything that's been knocked on the floor. He'll come show me, but not close enough for me to grab, and say with his eyes and expression..." Look what I haaaave...come get it!" And then he wants me to chase him, like around our round table. That just becomes a merry go round! Finally "drop it" became necessary. Took all of about 2 minutes to teach him the command, but he's very treat motivated. Have you tried like hot dogs or even steak? Maybe you've just got to break out with the real yummy treats. There's got to be something out there he'd be willing to trade for.