German Shepherds Forum banner

Help me be more "alpha" or understand my place as a GSD owner.

967 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  llombardo 
#1 ·
Ok, I know that this "ALPHA" stuff is always being talked about on these forums.I've read threads over and over. But cannot get a clear view on where I need to be with my 9 week old. I guess I want to be the leader but also someone she could count on. What are some dos and don'ts?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#2 ·
For me, forget the alpha smalpha stuff..At this age, I am working on a good bond with my puppy:) Basic stuff like sit/COME (most important), working on that puppy to get them to think "I" am the center of their universe:)...

Patience, consistency, being fair, and not expecting a perfect puppy/dog.

I hand feed my puppies, figure out what motivates them, is it toys? food?

I kinda let them be puppies at this age, ignoring bad stuff, redirecting to good things, ALWAYS Praising, treating for GOOD behaviors even if you haven't asked for them.,

I think once you get a good bond going, everything else falls into place,,mutual respect:) Thats just my quick view on it

#4 ·
Seems like I'm doing a decent job then. She's food motivated definitely.

Correct me if I'm wrong with any of these training techniques. But this is what I've been doing.

Teach her to sit/come and treat her 90% of the time. (i use her food for treats) 10% I give her a toy.

Feed her 3x a day, after feeding crate her for 30 min then take her out. (no idea why I do this, but seen it on dog whisperer)

Treat her for using Pee pads. (use Pee pads ATM but will eventually go outside.

Troubles:

When she is gnawing on stuff that I don't want her to, or jumping on the couch I used to say no and give her a little pop. But now I grab her and and direct her towards a toy. I was having trouble with a lamp wire but she seems to know not to touch it anymore because of my attitude change when there is something really wrong. Am I doing this right?

Biting of arms, fingers, feet...etc...my arms look like I'm emo and cut myself because of her. The thing I'm really havinga problem with is when I goto grab her sometimes she will snap back like "hands off". Any suggestions?

Also, I play with her on the floor most of the time. Sometimes ill act like im a dog and growl at her either squatting or on the floor, I usually get her running at me and then quickly turns to growling and barking...but if I stand up and calm down shell stop. I have recently stopped doing the whole imma a dog thing because I don't want her to look at me as a dog. If that makes sense.

She seems to like to nip at faces. I want to put a stop to that but no clue how.

Yesterday, I went on this whole Cesar Millian "im the boss" training but felt like I was just bullying my dog. Always poking, pinning her. When is a good sign that I need to pin her? Is there any reason to? I'm sure I confused the dog more than anything so I stopped.

The last few days I have been putting her between my legs on her back so I could pet her stomach. Sometimes she likes it but sometimes she just wants out. She seems like she doesn't like to be pet to much. If my wife or I reach for her to give her a little pet she will try to bite. Seems weird. Is this what puppies do?

Sorry if some of this doesnt make sense I'm typing from my phone.

#5 ·
First don't for me is right here:
Leerburg | Dog Parks: Why They Are A Bad Idea

That's where problems you did not need to have can be created.

Then here that's how you should dog you can protect him, later on down the line when he's out and about on walks. I just flat out don't do strange dog "I thought my dog was friendly folks".

Leerburg | Who Pets Your Puppy or Dog
http://www.germanshepherds.com/foru...0-rethinking-popular-early-socialization.html

Look up loose leash training when it's time to start with a leash.

The ALPHA thing with one dog/puppy isn't really an issue as long as your reasonably competent...recent threads have shown issues early on though so I guess that can be screwed up?????

Gonna throw this link your way to in regards to the "early" socialization thing
Dog Club, Critical periods in your puppy’s psychological growth

And I won't let my puppy put his feet down anywhere another dog has been, until two weeks after his last puppy shot. I have done so in the past and got lucky and had no issues but now I realize I was putting my puppies at risk.

All that is in the future right now the most important step is bonding with your puppy and taking care of him that's how you let him see your in charge! :)

#6 · (Edited)
agree with others... forget the 'alpha' stuff.

Be her leader, teacher, source of all good things fun person with just the right amount of calm discipline.

personally, I hate the pee pee pads.

I start with crate and outside from the very first.

consistency.

If she thinks you're the greatest thing in the world, she will follow your direction.

Just like two legged critters, they won't be ruined by one mistake.

Relax and enjoy her!

#7 ·
I've never had to pin a puppy. Dogs are pretty intune with tone of voice. Been forever since I've dealt with a puppy I remember my Boxer mix looked at me like he was gonna cry when I said "SIT" instead of "Sit".

Maybe a 'NO" instead of 'No" will get your point across? And sit/stay and down, start working on those. Very important down the road it's easier to tell a dog to do something than to "not" do something!

Down is dropping the bomb on them in my experience. :)

#8 ·
I guess I want to be the leader but also someone she could count on.

I think these two things go hand and hand. Best thing is to start building a good foundation of trust and respect for now. This is the time when you can prevent bad behaviors from ever turning into bigger problems later in adult-hood. If you do a good job now building a solid relationship things won't ever escalate where you will have to get hard-core with dominance. Don't over think things, turn into a worry-wort, or try too hard with frustration to get the desired result you want. Relax, be confident in your approach, don't freak out when bad things happen, protect your pup, and don't dwell on mistakes. Don't create a vicious cycle treating the pup like a baby (common mistakes that some people do with small dogs) because of the cute appearance. Keep things consistent and focus on the puppy basics. Don't get too caught up in the seriousness that you forget to have fun together. The puppy stage is fleeting.

#9 ·
I believe its mutual respect that gets the forever bond in motion. They respect me and I respect them, I have never needed more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.