treating GSD like a baby - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2014, 04:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question treating GSD like a baby

Hi.
So my husband and I bought our GSD for family protection and a good dog to grow up with my two boys.
My husband was the one who brought the dog idea to me, and insisted we do protection training etc.
Well, our GSD female is now 18weeks, as done her basic puppy training and is house broken. she sits when people walk in the door, she alerts when people approach and is doing very well WITH ME. she listens to my commands, doesn't beg for my food, in fact sits on her bed when I eat. However, she whines to my husband, hardly even follows a sit command with him and jumps all over him when he walks in the room. BUT I feel it is because he babys her. He rough houses on the floor, making her think hes a littermate, he feeds her from his plate, and he holds her in his arms like a baby. Am I wrong in thinking that this behavior will not only cause her to be too people friendly but that it will cause her to be a poor protective training candidate? Advice on what to do so that he doesn't single handedly mess up our chances to make her a reliable GSD? Literature I can send him? At this point I feel as though I may be her "alpha" if its possible for a female to be the alpha in the canine world.
Also, is it true that if the dog does a "wrong" you firmly tell them not to that and use "dog" in place of their name, as their name should only be used as a positive?
sierraolly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2014, 05:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Simple answer to all your questions...no.

If you're truly interested in "protection work," find a trainer and get working with them.

The chances your 18 week old knows the difference between her name and "dog" is very slim. And there should not be any positive/negative connotation with her name.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2014, 05:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Your husband is playing with the puppy. That's fine. It will not make your dog to people-friendly. In fact, if you want to do protection with your pup, then you will want a dog that is not leery of all people, and will only react to a true threat. So the pup has to have stellar nerves to do protection training.

If the dog has stellar nerves, all the playing and roughhousing your husband does will not be a problem at all.

And, if you train the dog to pay attention and whine when you are eating, the puppy will do so. Your husband has trained the dog to do so. It is a lot easier to train a dog what to do from the get go, than to go about working a bad habit out of her. It seems like your husband is not concerned with meal-time etiquette. Sometimes we are not all on the same page in training.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2014, 06:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

You husband is doing a great job of bonding with the dog. with that kind of love, your GSD will be devoted to him and naturally protect him (as long as she does not come from terrible genetics).

My daughter and I act like girly girls and have doted on our female GSD, some may look at it as babying her, but she is a working line GSD, it is in her genetics to protect. Our car will never be carjacked with her inside or our business robbed with me inside unless someone is willing to actually shoot. She never had protection training, just really got the obedience training down.

Last edited by Gretchen; 03-18-2014 at 06:13 PM.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2014, 06:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

"......too people friendly......"

That's a new one....never heard anyone being concerned about a GSD that might be too friendly to humans. I suppose however, I have never really pursued having a GSD which was intentionally trained to be "people unfriendly"....sounds like a handful to me.

I have this notion about GSDs...many of them anyway....they should be capable (intelligent enough) to be "people friendly" and then turn it on when they need not be "people friendly" per the instruction of the handler/owner....I could be wrong as all my GSDs have been cupcakes when it comes to people BUT...when my hackles get raised by an individual, so does my dog's. I imagine once they are trained for protection, the dog will be able to discern and be guided when to be protective versus "people friendly".

Since I know nothing about training a dog for personal protection...this is all my speculation excepting my observations....but I'll bet those in here with experience in training personal protection dogs can give you the inside line...and perhaps one poster already has.

SuperG
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2014, 06:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Stick around, this is, unfortunately, a common concern of many people who by a dog based on its potential ability to protect.

What happens is they generally isolate the dog, and encourage any signs of fear reaction, and then their dog bites a non-threat, and they come on hear wondering how to rehome it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperG View Post
"......too people friendly......"

That's a new one....never heard anyone being concerned about a GSD that might be too friendly to humans. I suppose however, I have never really pursued having a GSD which was intentionally trained to be "people unfriendly"....sounds like a handful to me.

I have this notion about GSDs...many of them anyway....they should be capable (intelligent enough) to be "people friendly" and then turn it on when they need not be "people friendly" per the instruction of the handler/owner....I could be wrong as all my GSDs have been cupcakes when it comes to people BUT...when my hackles get raised by an individual, so does my dog's. I imagine once they are trained for protection, the dog will be able to discern and be guided when to be protective versus "people friendly".

Since I know nothing about training a dog for personal protection...this is all my speculation excepting my observations....but I'll bet those in here with experience in training personal protection dogs can give you the inside line...and perhaps one poster already has.

SuperG
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2014, 08:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

When I read "people friendly" I interpret that as seeking attention from people aka strangers.

GSD's are to be aloof, to me that is neutral to people they don't know therefore not seeking attention but cautious to strangers.

Therefore a GSD should not be too friendly to humans. If I wanted a dog to be excited about and eager to meet and interact with strangers I would get a golden or lab.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 03-18-2014, 10:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

send the man to the dog house ---

the dog is smart enough to play you off each other --- and that will create confusion and difficulty in training.

you seem to like order , the dog listens , doesn't beg , allows herself to be guided

your husband is one of the littermates? encourages her to beg for food , breaks all the rules you have made to make for a peaceful house with a dog in it.

I would curb an 18 week old from alerting on people .

People like to keep dog as "baby" or fur kid -- but the dog sure does not regard you as mommy or daddy .

this "The chances your 18 week old knows the difference between her name and "dog" is very slim" is not so.
I name my pups at the beginning of the social stage -- any name , even if it doesn't stay with them in their new homes. It lets me deal with them as distinct individuals -- gives them an indentity, which they respond to.

So if 3 pups are on the lawn and I want Kade to come to me , only that dog will come . Or Mercer, or Case -- starts the bond and partnership.

Carmspack
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2014, 10:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

She's smart enough to know Daddy isn't going to enforce the rules LOL. He's just playing with her, bonding, she's a puppy and should be experiencing all things that she can in a positive way.

I have a dog who was very outgoing as a pup, so much so that he encouraged my older female to be more accepting of friendly strangers. As an adult, he's very capable of discerning between friendly stranger and stranger danger. He no longer has to say hello to everyone he meets, saves his attention for true friends and his family.

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
SunCzarina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2014, 10:10 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

"She's smart enough to know Daddy isn't going to enforce the rules LOL."

when you have two or more sets of basic rules it makes for frustrating times training the dog . Sabotage .
confusing for the dog who will test to see what it can get away with .

Carmspack
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.