Puppy training schools? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2014, 12:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Puppy training schools?

So a lot of the puppy training schools make you drop your pup off with them for a couple of weeks and during that time you don't actually train with them. You only get a couple of private sessions in. Just wanted to know what you guys think about that.
Airman1stclass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2014, 12:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Not sure where you're looking...but no...absolutely not.

Very few training facilities actually offer this type of training, and I would imagine it would be extremely overpriced for what you will get out of it...not much they can teach to a puppy that you couldn't do at home or just taking a class once a week. I would never trust anyone else to train my dog, especially in a situation where I can't monitor what exactly is going on.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2014, 01:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

wouldn't do that!

If you need help training your pup, get a local trainer that can come out and train you to train your dog. You will learn a lot and your pup will follow your lead.

Or, find good class where you can participate with your pup.

good luck.

Nothing is as simple as it seems or as complicated as we make it~

Attitude is everything -- Pick a good one!
Sofie AKA Ussina vom Haus Brezel
Jack von Jagenstadt
Tatty - Burmese bad cat

zyppi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2014, 01:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I think it's something I wouldn't even consider. I like puppy classes because I can work with my puppy around distractions, that's all. And isn't your puppy just a baby? If someone says they can give you perfect OB at that age, run very fast!
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2014, 01:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by martemchik View Post
Not sure where you're looking...but no...absolutely not.

Very few training facilities actually offer this type of training, and I would imagine it would be extremely overpriced for what you will get out of it...not much they can teach to a puppy that you couldn't do at home or just taking a class once a week. I would never trust anyone else to train my dog, especially in a situation where I can't monitor what exactly is going on.
Im in NJ. I thought this was pretty weird too. Very uncomfortable with that. When looking for trainers should I ask if they ever worked with working line gsd or it doesn't really matter?

Last edited by Airman1stclass; 03-17-2014 at 01:11 PM.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanketback View Post
I think it's something I wouldn't even consider. I like puppy classes because I can work with my puppy around distractions, that's all. And isn't your puppy just a baby? If someone says they can give you perfect OB at that age, run very fast!
Yeah he's just 9 weeks. Lol, im only looking for classes on websites. Should I worry about classes right now since he Is so young?
Old 03-17-2014, 01:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Some people like the early socialization classes for baby puppies. I like socializing my puppies myself, and starting puppy classes after they're 4 months old. By this time I've already started training on my own though. I think it's a personal decision and you'll find pros and cons to both.
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2014, 01:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanketback View Post
Some people like the early socialization classes for baby puppies. I like socializing my puppies myself, and starting puppy classes after they're 4 months old. By this time I've already started training on my own though. I think it's a personal decision and you'll find pros and cons to both.
Yeah that's a good idea. One puppy class im looking at is mainly about socializing with OB. But I'm really considering getting one of the leerburg videos on engagement. I think I'll definitely need that video. I'm pretty sure im probably not making the training fun enough for him. But he is doesn't seem to be too much into it. Just all of his movements are really slow. He doesn't seem to be food driven. But like I said. Im new to all this and I need some help.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Youtube has some great puppy training videos. Look up crate games for one. It should hit on others for you. Carlos Rojas is in NJ. Look him up. Not sure if he does puppy classes or not, but could probably recommend a trainer. It can sometimes be better for you to take a private lesson once a week until the both of you get the hang of the training. I did privates for at least 6 months I think before I added a group class. If the puppy is getting board, maybe you are spending too much time training or maybe it is too formal. I have no idea, just offering ideas. Do not train on a full stomach either. You should be feeding at least twice a day. Work your pup a bit before both meals or even just one. How many weeks is your pup? That is how many minutes your training sessions should be right now.
dawnandjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2014, 01:57 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnandjr View Post
Youtube has some great puppy training videos. Look up crate games for one. It should hit on others for you. Carlos Rojas is in NJ. Look him up. Not sure if he does puppy classes or not, but could probably recommend a trainer. It can sometimes be better for you to take a private lesson once a week until the both of you get the hang of the training. I did privates for at least 6 months I think before I added a group class. If the puppy is getting board, maybe you are spending too much time training or maybe it is too formal. I have no idea, just offering ideas. Do not train on a full stomach either. You should be feeding at least twice a day. Work your pup a bit before both meals or even just one. How many weeks is your pup? That is how many minutes your training sessions should be right now.
My puppy is 9 weeks and I use his kibble to train him. I was told to feed him two cups a day and I break that up into 4 meals. With added treats eqch time. So half cup of kibble with added treats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.