Puppy training schools? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Airman1stclass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 302
Puppy training schools?

So a lot of the puppy training schools make you drop your pup off with them for a couple of weeks and during that time you don't actually train with them. You only get a couple of private sessions in. Just wanted to know what you guys think about that.
Airman1stclass is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 01:57 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 5,130
Not sure where you're looking...but no...absolutely not.

Very few training facilities actually offer this type of training, and I would imagine it would be extremely overpriced for what you will get out of it...not much they can teach to a puppy that you couldn't do at home or just taking a class once a week. I would never trust anyone else to train my dog, especially in a situation where I can't monitor what exactly is going on.
martemchik is offline  
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 02:04 PM
Crowned Member
 
zyppi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Back home to Louisiana!
Posts: 6,037
wouldn't do that!

If you need help training your pup, get a local trainer that can come out and train you to train your dog. You will learn a lot and your pup will follow your lead.

Or, find good class where you can participate with your pup.

good luck.

Anne

Nothing is as simple as it seems or as complicated as we make it~

Attitude is everything -- Pick a good one!
Sofie AKA Ussina vom Haus Brezel
Jack von Jagenstadt
Tatty - Burmese bad cat

zyppi is offline  
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 02:05 PM
Knighted Member
 
Blanketback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,438
I think it's something I wouldn't even consider. I like puppy classes because I can work with my puppy around distractions, that's all. And isn't your puppy just a baby? If someone says they can give you perfect OB at that age, run very fast!
Blanketback is offline  
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Airman1stclass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by martemchik View Post
Not sure where you're looking...but no...absolutely not.

Very few training facilities actually offer this type of training, and I would imagine it would be extremely overpriced for what you will get out of it...not much they can teach to a puppy that you couldn't do at home or just taking a class once a week. I would never trust anyone else to train my dog, especially in a situation where I can't monitor what exactly is going on.
Im in NJ. I thought this was pretty weird too. Very uncomfortable with that. When looking for trainers should I ask if they ever worked with working line gsd or it doesn't really matter?

Last edited by Airman1stclass; 03-17-2014 at 02:11 PM.
Airman1stclass is offline  
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Airman1stclass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanketback View Post
I think it's something I wouldn't even consider. I like puppy classes because I can work with my puppy around distractions, that's all. And isn't your puppy just a baby? If someone says they can give you perfect OB at that age, run very fast!
Yeah he's just 9 weeks. Lol, im only looking for classes on websites. Should I worry about classes right now since he Is so young?
Airman1stclass is offline  
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 02:21 PM
Knighted Member
 
Blanketback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,438
Some people like the early socialization classes for baby puppies. I like socializing my puppies myself, and starting puppy classes after they're 4 months old. By this time I've already started training on my own though. I think it's a personal decision and you'll find pros and cons to both.
Blanketback is offline  
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Airman1stclass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanketback View Post
Some people like the early socialization classes for baby puppies. I like socializing my puppies myself, and starting puppy classes after they're 4 months old. By this time I've already started training on my own though. I think it's a personal decision and you'll find pros and cons to both.
Yeah that's a good idea. One puppy class im looking at is mainly about socializing with OB. But I'm really considering getting one of the leerburg videos on engagement. I think I'll definitely need that video. I'm pretty sure im probably not making the training fun enough for him. But he is doesn't seem to be too much into it. Just all of his movements are really slow. He doesn't seem to be food driven. But like I said. Im new to all this and I need some help.
Airman1stclass is offline  
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 02:51 PM
Elite Member
 
dawnandjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Walworth, NY
Posts: 1,541
Youtube has some great puppy training videos. Look up crate games for one. It should hit on others for you. Carlos Rojas is in NJ. Look him up. Not sure if he does puppy classes or not, but could probably recommend a trainer. It can sometimes be better for you to take a private lesson once a week until the both of you get the hang of the training. I did privates for at least 6 months I think before I added a group class. If the puppy is getting board, maybe you are spending too much time training or maybe it is too formal. I have no idea, just offering ideas. Do not train on a full stomach either. You should be feeding at least twice a day. Work your pup a bit before both meals or even just one. How many weeks is your pup? That is how many minutes your training sessions should be right now.

Dawn Brogan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dawnandjr is offline  
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Airman1stclass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnandjr View Post
Youtube has some great puppy training videos. Look up crate games for one. It should hit on others for you. Carlos Rojas is in NJ. Look him up. Not sure if he does puppy classes or not, but could probably recommend a trainer. It can sometimes be better for you to take a private lesson once a week until the both of you get the hang of the training. I did privates for at least 6 months I think before I added a group class. If the puppy is getting board, maybe you are spending too much time training or maybe it is too formal. I have no idea, just offering ideas. Do not train on a full stomach either. You should be feeding at least twice a day. Work your pup a bit before both meals or even just one. How many weeks is your pup? That is how many minutes your training sessions should be right now.
My puppy is 9 weeks and I use his kibble to train him. I was told to feed him two cups a day and I break that up into 4 meals. With added treats eqch time. So half cup of kibble with added treats.
Airman1stclass is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome