German Shepherds Forum banner

Puppy training schools?

2K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  PMRonan 
#1 ·
So a lot of the puppy training schools make you drop your pup off with them for a couple of weeks and during that time you don't actually train with them. You only get a couple of private sessions in. Just wanted to know what you guys think about that.

#2 ·
Not sure where you're looking...but no...absolutely not.

Very few training facilities actually offer this type of training, and I would imagine it would be extremely overpriced for what you will get out of it...not much they can teach to a puppy that you couldn't do at home or just taking a class once a week. I would never trust anyone else to train my dog, especially in a situation where I can't monitor what exactly is going on.

#3 ·
wouldn't do that!

If you need help training your pup, get a local trainer that can come out and train you to train your dog. You will learn a lot and your pup will follow your lead.

Or, find good class where you can participate with your pup.

good luck.

#7 ·
Some people like the early socialization classes for baby puppies. I like socializing my puppies myself, and starting puppy classes after they're 4 months old. By this time I've already started training on my own though. I think it's a personal decision and you'll find pros and cons to both.

#8 ·
Yeah that's a good idea. One puppy class im looking at is mainly about socializing with OB. But I'm really considering getting one of the leerburg videos on engagement. I think I'll definitely need that video. I'm pretty sure im probably not making the training fun enough for him. But he is doesn't seem to be too much into it. Just all of his movements are really slow. He doesn't seem to be food driven. But like I said. Im new to all this and I need some help.

#9 ·
Youtube has some great puppy training videos. Look up crate games for one. It should hit on others for you. Carlos Rojas is in NJ. Look him up. Not sure if he does puppy classes or not, but could probably recommend a trainer. It can sometimes be better for you to take a private lesson once a week until the both of you get the hang of the training. I did privates for at least 6 months I think before I added a group class. If the puppy is getting board, maybe you are spending too much time training or maybe it is too formal. I have no idea, just offering ideas. Do not train on a full stomach either. You should be feeding at least twice a day. Work your pup a bit before both meals or even just one. How many weeks is your pup? That is how many minutes your training sessions should be right now.

#11 · (Edited)
We do puppy training here. The biggest benefit you get from it is the early socialization with puppies and different people. Theres also the handler sessions where we teach them things we learned about their dog like predispositions to being edgy resource agressive or nervy and make a plan the owner can go off to prevent future issues.

For people who want to learn to train theres individual sessions to teach handling and that kind of thing. Theres definite benefit to good board and train puppy programs though. If my next sport dog is a puppy ill probably pass him off to my mentor for at least a week or two for the socialization benefit as we are on the same page. He will end up spending most of his time here in the training room just like my current dog. They live under the same structure and rules as the other client dogs. If it wasnt beneficial they wouldnt be here. We make sure the socialization and environmental confidence stuff is done right. People dont know the benefit of good socialization until they dont have it or they screw it up and have a problem adult dog.

What you wont get is reliable behavior. Theyre too young for that. The primary benefit is opening up a larger world for the dog. There is enough benefit from their learning of the markers for when or rather if they come back for basic or advanced obedience. Any dog here that has done all three programs from puppyhood has ended up an awesome dog.

#12 ·
At nine weeks you can do about as well as anyone. Go for watch/attention, walking on a leash in your yard sort of loose sort of near you, sit, down, and come as well as potty training. You can have him find a piece of hot dog hidden in a blanket (nosework). You can have him fetch and bring a toy or a sock. Have people visit the dog (have them wash hands and remove shoes if there is lot of parvo in your area). Have him ride in the car. Maybe go to a NON-dog place like home depot where you can carry him around to hear sounds and see things. Don't let him wander anyplace that dogs really go until shots are done. Kibble is not the most motivating treat for training. Tiny bits of hot dog or training treats are very motivating.

Don't leave your dog with a trainer. You totally can do it yourself. Don't expect a lot, but start working and making big deals over him getting something right. Training sessions are like 10 minutes.

After shots are done, go for a puppy kinder where it is social play and some basic training. Then move right into basic class when the trainer tells you.

I like a private school (not like Petsmart) but I will work with my own dogs. Trust no one! with your baby -- unless your breeder is a dog trainer and wants to work with him or such. Not strangers. Nope.

#13 · (Edited)
If youre asserting a newbie can out train or match a pro with a puppy you are laughably wrong. A good trainer can hold a puppies attention through the full length of a session without a single lapse in that puppies attention. A newbie cant and probably doesnt even know the value of it.

OP if you wanna learn how to train find a great sport trainer and go learn to train. Consider doing the board and train even then. But definitely if you want to learn go out and absorb as much as you can from the pros.

#14 ·
No, obviously a trainer is more knowledgeable, but at NINE weeks short of hiring a trainer to come to his house or leaving the dog at a facility -- neither of which he desires and certainly which would be pricey -- he can certainly train just fine at home at least well enough to start the puppy off right until the puppy is old enough for kinder or basic. Just saying he certainly doesn't have to do nothing or think it is some big mystery he can't accomplish. If he doesn't desire to drop his dog off and let some stranger do whatever to it in secret, there's plenty he can do on his own for FREE. You can do it OP! Don't let anyone tell you you can't.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.