German Shepherds Forum banner

4 month old heel.

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Mishka&Milo 
#1 ·
We have been working on mishkas heel.... Her on- leash heel is amazing, but I wondered how you guys thing she is coming along with her off-leash heel. I know her position is still a bit off, but I am working on perfection. She can heel for a lot longer... I just didn't have time to upload a longer video tonight

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#4 ·
It's a bit short to really tell. The one thing I noticed, silence. Not a word of encouragement from you. Not even when you rewarded at the end.

At this age, the second she was in the right position, I would mark with a "yes", then reward. Rinse repeat. Make it fun, let her know when she is correct.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#6 ·
If you're talking about just a pet and not competition heeling then I wouldn't be too nit picky about position. Just have the dog next to you.

The hard part about off leash heeling is making the dog understand it needs to stay next to you and not run off to explore. Inside the house looks great but I'd train outside. Train the behavior where you're actually going to use it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.