Charging your clicker not working - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2014, 12:38 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Charging your clicker not working

So I have watched a few videos on charging your clicker and what I see is that you click then treat about a second later. You just do this until the pup understands that when I hear the click I get a treat. Not sure if he's getting it or not cause I can click but he doesn't make any type og gesture that sais he understands. Granted we have only done four sessions. How longdoes it typically take to charge your clicker?
Airman1stclass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2014, 12:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Shouldn't take long. Take some video lets have a look.
Baillif is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2014, 12:50 AM   #3 (permalink)

I don't know if I'm 100% the way the videos say to do it... but I do like 10-20 times of "charging" the clicker. I click, treat, click, treat, click, treat, click, treat, etc. And then immediately go into a command. For a young puppy, I start training the sit. Sit, click, treat. Charge once or twice (ONLY if they are still sitting), and then get them up, and try to sit again. Add the command, the pup sits, then I click and treat. And continue training the sit, clicking as soon as the pup touches the ground with their butt. Charge a few more times, etc.

Not just sit there for 10 minutes and click and treat click and treat. Since I want the dog to understand that they have to do something in order to get the click and the treat, not just click and "ooh! treat!".

For me, doesn't take long. I don't use a clicker with my pup, I cluck my tongue. She now will hear it and look expectantly for the treat.

Your pup right now probably thinks that you're making clucking noises and giving treats... not necessarily that the cluck means he's doing something you want so he gets a treat.

Just a thought...
Serbrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2014, 12:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I really don't know why people clicker train over marker training.
Baillif is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2014, 01:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baillif View Post
I really don't know why people clicker train over marker training.
Aren't they the same thing?

The real question is why in the world would anyone clicker train when ecollar is easily the most effective? (only half kidding)
boomer11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2014, 01:05 AM   #6 (permalink)

I both clicker and marker train.

They aren't the same thing, but I do a mixture with my own animals.... clicker helps the animal (as I do it with my cat and my horse as well) know it's doing the right thing, and marker helps it know how to do it.... to an extent.
Old 03-15-2014, 01:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbrider View Post
I both clicker and marker train.

They aren't the same thing, but I do a mixture with my own animals.... clicker helps the animal (as I do it with my cat and my horse as well) know it's doing the right thing, and marker helps it know how to do it.... to an extent.
What? Care to explain how clicker and marker are different in more simple terms for someone like me? Isn't clicker training just marking the correct behavior?
Old 03-15-2014, 01:27 AM   #8 (permalink)

Maybe I'm not thinking in the same terms y'all are. Marker training involves some sort of marker.

Or... wait... no. I'm thinking of target training... using markers.

Gosh... so many terms. I mix a lot of different methods into what I do... I can't keep up with all the official names of stuff....
Old 03-15-2014, 01:29 AM   #9 (permalink)

When I'm talking about marker training, I have a marker. Could be my hand, could be a ball on the end of a stick, could be something on the floor, depends on what I define as "marker" or "target". And then use that to lure the animal into positions, like "sit" or "down" or "circle" or whatever. And clicker is what I use to confirm the correct action.

I just mix in whatever works best for what I'm doing/needing...
Old 03-15-2014, 01:39 AM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Lol you sounded so sure in your first post and then you went and confused yourself. Leading the dog with your hand or a ball is called luring. Clicker/marker training is the same to me except one you have to carry around a weird looking tool everywhere. I was being fetcicious; your post about charging the clicker was spot on.

Terminology doesn't matter except when you give advice th wrong terminology might confuse people
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.