German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Training Our Puppy (basic) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-our-puppy-basic/)
-   -   Puppy cries in crate (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-our-puppy-basic/424090-puppy-cries-crate.html)

Airman1stclass 03-14-2014 12:21 AM

Puppy cries in crate

So I brought my puppy home yesterday. I've been trying to put him into his crate. He will cry the entire time in there. I don't want neighbors to complain. But I don't want him roaming the house. I've been sleeping on the floor with him, trying to keep an eye on him but I fall asleep. Fortunately I haven't found any wet spots or anything. Any advice to keep him quiet in there?

Baillif 03-14-2014 12:25 AM

Ignore him. Cover the crate if that doesn't work. If that doesn't work mark with a no and slap the crate every time he cries. When he's being good for a bit take him out or slip a treat or two in there with him. Only feed him in the crate for a week or two. Never pull him out when he's being a jerk.

Airman1stclass 03-14-2014 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baillif (Post 5197122)
Ignore him. Cover the crate if that doesn't work. If that doesn't work mark with a no and slap the crate every time he cries. When he's being good for a bit take him out or slip a treat or two in there with him. Only feed him in the crate for a week or two. Never pull him out when he's being a jerk.

Thanks a lot. Im definitely going to try this. Right now he's sleeping on the floor. Not sure if I should wake him up and put him n there r not.

boomer11 03-14-2014 01:10 AM

Yes you should. The sooner the gets comfortable with the crate the easier your life will be. Don't be one of those owners that take a month to create train because they are inconsistent.

You could always let your pup fall asleep outside the crate and then put him in to sleep. My pup always accepted the crate better when he was drowsy. You can also crate train during the day so he doesn't bother the neighbors as much at night.

The ease of crate and potty training are directly proportional to how consistent you are.

Airman1stclass 03-14-2014 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boomer11 (Post 5197330)
Yes you should. The sooner the gets comfortable with the crate the easier your life will be. Don't be one of those owners that take a month to create train because they are inconsistent.

You could always let your pup fall asleep outside the crate and then put him in to sleep. My pup always accepted the crate better when he was drowsy. You can also crate train during the day so he doesn't bother the neighbors as much at night.

The ease of crate and potty training are directly proportional to how consistent you are.

Peace at last. He's been sleeping in his crate or just being really quiet for about 30 mins. I put a blanket over his crate. I woke him up and put him in. He wined a little bit. Not too much tho.

Baillif 03-14-2014 02:24 AM

The blanket is a bandaid but I figured you could use a rest. Crate work is super important and should be maintained and kept fresh through the life of the dog so keep it up.

Suka 03-14-2014 07:13 AM

I live in the city in a condo and brought home a working line puppy. Staying quietly in his crate was extremely important to me, due to close proximity of neighbors. The first time I put him in an x-pen in my office, he was hysterical. As soon as it was obvious he wasn't going to calm down, I said nope and walked out. When he took a breath and was quiet momentarily, I walked back in. Of course he started up again so I walked out. Then I was able to walk back in and say good, upon which time he started screaming again, so I walked out. He started to get it, so we moved onto the crate in the living room. After he went out and pottied, I sat on the floor and threw treats in and let him get them, throwing them further in each time until he was comfortable. Then the next step was throwing a second treat in once he was in there . At that point, I began to close the door while making sure he saw me doing so. I didn't try to be sneaky about it. I closed the door and said GOOD, opened it back up immediately before there was a reaction, and threw a treat in. Then I began calling him out of the crate, then tossing a treat in, closing door, saying good, then calling him out. My whole point of that was that I opened the door and called him out, making it MY choice. Once he was okay with that, I began counting 1001, 1002, etc one more second each time until he was fine for several seconds. Then I made sure I had a super special treat like a stuffed kong or something that he will never get unless he is in the crate, sent him into his crate, gave him said treat, closed door and started walking around the room, in sight but not just standing there. As soon as he started whining, I said nope and walked out. Then we went through the same deal as the xpen described above and he got it real fast. Went from screamer to quiet in his crate this way in one weekend.

robk 03-14-2014 07:19 AM

Try to find a way to insulate the sound coming out of the crate if you think you are going to disturb your neighbors. After that, just ignore the puppy when he is crying.

Baillif 03-14-2014 07:36 AM

Suka has a good grasp on the kind of games you can play to quickly get the pup to learn that crying is counter productive. Always a good thing to try. I did something similar to a husky puppy that wouldn't stop throwing himself against a glass door to be let back in.

JakodaCD OA 03-14-2014 07:37 AM

or leave something thats appropriate for him to chew on, will take the edge off most times