German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Training Our Puppy (basic) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-our-puppy-basic/)
-   -   He chomps on my hand (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-our-puppy-basic/423242-he-chomps-my-hand.html)

LoveDogs 03-12-2014 12:45 PM

He chomps on my hand

How do you get a puppy to not chomp on your hand when teaching heal? He's gentle when we are standing still with the sit, down, stay command but when I attempt heal he bites my hand trying to get the treat. I assume it's how I am holding my hand. Tips please?

Sp00ks 03-12-2014 01:15 PM

Open palm like feeding a horse by hand. Also push toward his mouth and not be apprehensive about him biting your fingers.

So in short, open palm treating into him. Worked for me. My fingers were about raw from the puppy teeth.

LoveDogs 03-12-2014 01:42 PM

Thank you for the tip.

Baillif 03-12-2014 01:58 PM

Make sure you present a clear target too. Feed from the palm and then also dont move the food side to side. Moving the food straight backward is fine but hooking the food causes the dog to anticipate lateral movement and hit something he shouldnt. A little pain while luring especially if doing it correctly is a good thing as it means the pup is coming with real drive.

LoveDogs 03-12-2014 02:11 PM

The trainer last night kept saying "very good" to us when healing but man my hand felt like it was attacked by a porcupine. Maybe wearing Kevlar gloves will help until I master how to hold his treats correctly.

Tratkins 03-12-2014 05:17 PM

We can compare scars one day! I love how great my guy is doing with his heel training, but my poor thumb hurts! I actually wrapped mine with a gauze and covered with a baindaid. I had to because he kept reopening the sore every training session. Bonus of a bandage is that it protects the already hurting skin. Try it!

SuperG 03-12-2014 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoveDogs (Post 5184754)
The trainer last night kept saying "very good" to us when healing but man my hand felt like it was attacked by a porcupine. Maybe wearing Kevlar gloves will help until I master how to hold his treats correctly.

Sounds like your hand needs to heel

SuperG

Baillif 03-12-2014 06:36 PM

Just another reason i train the heel with a prong collar and a frisbee or tug

LoveDogs 03-13-2014 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperG (Post 5187138)
Sounds like your hand needs to heel

SuperG

Cute- lol thank you for pointing out my error.

Curtis 03-13-2014 12:01 PM

I'm interested in this as well. No matter what size treat or how I try to hold on and let him nibble, he's gobbled the treat and my fingers if they're in the way. Then when I'm reloading my hand, I lose him. The few times that I can keep a treat in my hand, he is great even through the turns. Everything just gets so slimy and I lose grip.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App