German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Training Our Puppy (basic) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-our-puppy-basic/)
-   -   Did I pick a bad trainer? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-our-puppy-basic/422497-did-i-pick-bad-trainer.html)

liferebooted 03-11-2014 12:06 AM

Did I pick a bad trainer?

Hi everyone, my GSD is just turning 5 months soon and about 2-3 weeks ago I started taking her to a group obedience class. Right away at the first class our trainer told everyone that we need to get and use a prong collar, I don't have anything against them but I just found it kinda odd that she wanted everyone to start using it asap at only 5 months old no matter the dog. I really like the trainer but I'm not sure about her methods. From the sites about prong collars I've read the collar should be snug with the leash hook under the right ear, yet when shes using it on our dogs at training it is loose with the lease on the top of the neck like a choker or martingale.

selzer 03-11-2014 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liferebooted (Post 5173465)
Hi everyone, my GSD is just turning 5 months soon and about 2-3 weeks ago I started taking her to a group obedience class. Right away at the first class our trainer told everyone that we need to get and use a prong collar, I don't have anything against them but I just found it kinda odd that she wanted everyone to start using it asap at only 5 months old no matter the dog. I really like the trainer but I'm not sure about her methods. From the sites about prong collars I've read the collar should be snug with the leash hook under the right ear, yet when shes using it on our dogs at training it is loose with the lease on the top of the neck like a choker or martingale.

Talk to your trainer, if she is not willing to let you use the collar you want to use on your dog, ask for your money back.

I am not impressed with a trainer that requires any specific type of collar, though, I think with dogs a trainer has not had in classes before, a trainer might be wise to require a type of collar that cannot be slipped -- martingale, choke, prong.

And if she is requiring a prong, and doesn't know how to fit a prong, that's two strikes.

If you talk to her and she is adamant about the prong collar, that would be a definite 3 strikes your out, though for me, requiring the use on 5 month old puppies, is already 3 strikes.

trcy 03-11-2014 12:18 AM

Does she work at a pet store that sells these collars? Is she selling these collars?

When I went to petco for training they were trying to get me to use a prong. I was very firm in my no. They let me use the martingale and left it with "well, it's a tool you may consider in the future".

Baileysowner 03-11-2014 12:24 AM

Prong might be the trainers go to method at first and just see what dogs respond well,, also i think the prong is supposed to be pretty snug and as high on the neck as it can be ,, if u arent comfortable with the methods or anything talk to ur trainer,, if u dont like it then im sure there are other trainers in ur area

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

BensLife 03-11-2014 01:02 AM

If you don't like the prong collar, I would say tell the trainer that you don't want to use it and tell her that you don't want to use one on your puppy. If she refuses to train your dog without a prong collar I would go look for another trainer and ask for your money back.