German Shepherds Forum banner

Peeing.. and another thing.

1K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  A girl and her dog 
#1 · (Edited)
He's 11 weeks, been crate training.. never goes potty in his crate.. I take him out every 2-4 hours and when I do, he will go pee (in the same spot).. then I walk around with him for about 5 minutes or until he poops.. and within' those 5 minutes, I'll see him kinda pee.. and/or he'll poop.. then we go inside, and like.. 5-10 minutes later, he's flippin' peeing on the carpet or something.. and not in the 'same spots' either just.. wherever he's currently standing at the moment. It's not a lot of pee.. maybe like 1.5 seconds of pee stream, but he stills pee's.. and I'm losin' my marbles cuz I take him out constantly and he pee's a buttload outside every time.. so I'm not understanding why he's peeing in the house literally 5-10 minutes after being outside and after peeing as much as he did! He doesn't whine to let me know.. he just kinda.. yep, playing with this toy.. now i'm gonna pee a little.. even though i was just outside.

Oh yeah, I always praise him when he potty's outside too. I usually give him a click (if i remember to bring it out with me) and treat (whenever I remember to bring it outside) with vocal praise or I also praise with a happy toned voice and petting, positive reinforcement if I'm treatless.. treats have been fading in an out.. :|

I'm not sure what to do.. :| The pee session on the carpet's too quick for me to tell him no and take him outside again, he never has to go outside when I take him out a second time.. he'll just lie there and stare at me.. or go eat grass/leaves.. <_< little butthole! Hahah.

Also, I don't know if this is a bad thing or not.. but I'm constantly telling my puppy NO literally at everything he does.. because everything he does isn't exactly good. Eating something random, NO. Chewing on the clothes, NO. Eating paper, NO. Trying to take something off the table, NO.. and he stops whatever he's doing.. he'll drop whatever is dangling out of his mouth if it isn't already 100% in his mouth (then I gotta dig it out).. but he always goes into the down position and puts his head down.. or he'll go into his crate (willingly) and lie down with his head down.. like he's ashamed.. then he goes back and does whatever I just said no too.. or he'll fall asleep. Lol.

I'm such a noob. ;__;

See less See more
#2 ·
Lol, I don't mean to laugh, really I don't. It's just that ur post brings back such memories. All I can say is it does get easier eventually.
Welcome to the forum and being a proud puppy owner.

#3 ·
I can't help with the pee-ing unless he has a vet problem.

Remove ALL temptations you tell him No! for. Puppyproof like you would for a toddler. Put EVERYTHING away or out of his reach. Catch him doing something good and mark it -- either with a word (Good!) or a clicker.

Like Msmaria says: it'll get easier.

#4 ·
My day is filed with telling my pup no as well. Except when she has something she shouldn't have she runs! It stresses me out. We go outside and play all the time and I am really trying to keep her from getting bored....but any free time she has is spent biting or trying to sneak things she isn't supposed to have...or biting.... Did I say biting?
That was completely unhelpful. Sorry :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#5 ·
All sounds pretty normal to me :)

Although the Pee thing, maybe you should have him checked to make sure he doesn't have a bladder infection or something. Just to be sure. It may not be worth a special vet trip but the next time he is in for shots.

Every time we caught our chewing on something he wasn't supposed to, we would tell him no and replace it with a chew bone or something approved to chew on. I walked around with nylabones in my pockets.... Had one on the couch with me when we were sitting watching tv.

Just keep at it, it will get better. Ours is 4 months now, and starting to see a change. He has setbacks the strives forward. I'm trying to stay 2 steps ahead. It's tough.

#6 ·
#7 ·
We have 2nd round shots coming up this weekend, so I'll throw the pee pee thing at the vet, lol. But yeah, stressful.. and my boyfriend isn't any help either since he's at work all day and we aren't 100% on the same page of what the dog knows, what he shouldn't be doing, etc.. I'm basically training a puppy and a 25 year old dude. sigh! Lol. but if you all say it gets better.. thank godd. Just a few more months I guess!

and nope, haven't read the links.. it's just the little wee wee he does randomly even after he's done his business outside. Such a weird dog. :| but I'll take a look at it and see if there's anything. Thanks!

#8 ·
Our is our first male. I was scolded by the vet that we should be keeping his winky trimmed up of hair and clean or he could get an infection. I had no idea....:eek:

Of course my wife looks at me and says "Your job buddy".

One thing we have worked very hard at and it is crucial that each of you are consistent with the dog. What you let him do, the commands you give. Even down to very subtle things.

I tell ours "go potty" when we get outside, he goes and pee's in the same spot every time. Then I say "go poop" and he runs out toward the back of the yard to do that.

Ours had a bought where he wouldn't pee outside and come in and pee 5-10 minutes later. It's all about timing and consistency. We blocked off 3/4 of the house and he never left our site.

Basically I'm trying to tell you to hang in there. It will get better. Don't show your frustration to him. Patience weed hopper. I keep telling myself this as well.

#9 ·
Our is our first male. I was scolded by the vet that we should be keeping his winky trimmed up of hair and clean or he could get an infection. I had no idea....:eek:
What, really? I don't think his winky is like.. hairy or anything but he does have like.. those few hairs.. at the tip. Ahh, that sounds weird to say.

BUT

what, i'm supposed to trim that off or something? :paranoid: I honestly don't think our vet like.. looked at this man parts the first time.

#10 ·
My puppy did that from about week 11 to week 12, she's only 15 weeks now all I did was put her back in her crate for about 5 min after I brought her in, then I took her back outside and she peed / pooped more then praise. Only took about a week to conquer.

#11 ·
Honestly, we're all over the place with the potty training. He's getting it, slowly. Nonny does the same as yours- comes inside right after going out and pees. And he goes to the door and pees on the rug there. Occasionally, he'll sit at the door and look at me. That's his cue. Mostly, he just goes over there and does his business. It's frustrating! But at least he's not just stopping and peeing wherever he is at the moment. I haven't been able to catch him in the act more than a couple of times, so like you too, I'm not getting much opportunity to correct him.
I think they all go through a rough patch shortly after getting the hang of going outside to pee and poop. I still can't completely trust my 1y/o Chi to NOT pee in the bedroom if I let him sleep with me, but I know he can hold it b/c he holds it in his crate all night. He is reliable otherwise and has learned to hold it until we go out again, which is quite frequently.
I think you're just in that rough patch and it will all come together eventually if you keep at it and be as consistent as you can :)

#12 ·
I'm right with you on this one!! I just got my 3 month old pup last week and I've experienced the same thing. Glad I'm not the only one and I'm glad to see other people's advice that I can benefit from.

We are crate training as well and the beginning was tough. We had to time everything with the quickness!! But every time we let him out of the crate we always say potty and take him outside and his does the duty.. He's use to it now so we time it roughly every 3-4hrs. And we're trying to push it longer of a wait as he grows. But he does have accidents here n there when we're not fast enough to take him out after being crated.

We're in this together! And hopefully it'll get better :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#13 ·
He's had a few accidents this week.. same stuff. I'm just hoping he grows out of it. Hahah. He gets taken out literally every 3-4 hours, after he's been playing hard, 10-15 minutes after he eats/drinks.. consistency, consistency. We can do it, guys. >_<

Keep me updated on your progress! Good to know I"m not the only one having to wipe up pee pee.

OH! Is there a specific brand of something I can use to clean up accidents? Since dogs usually potty where their scent is and I've read regular cleaners can't cover up that scent and/or are harmful to the animals.. hmm.. any suggestions?

#15 ·
Nonny has started alerting me a little when he has/wants to go. Unfortunately, that's like every 30 minutes. We haven't worked on holding it yet. Sometimes I think he just likes to go out for a couple of minutes and its more about going outside than having to potty :smirk:

I've put a bell on the door too, so I'm teaching him that and today he reached up and touched it for the first time. It was after I got over to the door, but hey, he's doing it.

I use "Out" on my floors, but you can use a vinegar solution. I don't think it really matters what you use or if the scent is there. It's more a matter of learning not to do it inside.

I also used a belly band on Nonny for a period of time to keep him from going on the floor. It helped a LOT! He didn't like soiling the padding I put in it, and I kept it snug to his belly/skin. It didn't stop him completely from peeing inside rather than letting me know he needed to go out, but it did help with accidents on the floor. And, like I said, he didn't like to soil it next to his skin, so he would hold it a little while when he was wearing it. I also used it in the kennel at night deter any accidents there. Now he's kennel trained and I don't use it at night. In fact, I haven't used it in about a week. Anyhow, great $15 investment from walmart.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.